Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I attended a baby and me class on nutrition and the nurse was saying something about completely avoiding rice cereal. My baby is 5 months old and I plan to start introducing solids in another month or so. I went to the American Academy of Pediatrics website and could not find anything. Has anyone heard about this?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Is there any reason why you plan to introduce solids then? Because exclusive BF is fine at that age unless you have supply problems.

If you do need to start solids, there's no reason to do rice cereal. Just feed your baby simple real foods one at a time with several days in between to look for allergies.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Haven't heard about that study but I'm not surprised. Rice cereal is like feeding your baby wallpaper paste, anyway -- tasteless, bland mush with no nutritional value to it. I'd avoid it completely anyway.

Pikku's right: wait until your baby shows signs of readiness/eagerness, then start with nutritionally-dense foods like avocado, banana, sweet potato. You might even want to wait until s/he can self-feed. If you are really burning to do cereal for some reason, grind your own from steel-cut oats, brown rice, quinoa, or a similar whole grain.

HTH.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
It is best to avoid grains completely for the first year, as babies don't produce the enzyme needed to digest them until they are at least a year old (and if you give them food they can't digest, it can cause gut damage). Fruits & veggies, good fats (butter, olive oil, and coconut oil), and eggs are good foods for the first year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.