Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a cd biz - preferably one that sells kissaluvs, fuzzibunz, and other "name brands". I'm hoping there's someone who has done this before and can give me some basic advice such as questions to ask, brands to avoid, time commitment involved, how has it changed your family/dh dynamic, etc. I'm so nervous about jumping in and finding the "right" biz. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, I haven't bought a cloth diaper biz, but I have bought and sold other businesses in the past and I'm currently starting up a new cloth diaper biz (from scratch). I can try to answer your questions!

Ask LOTS of questions. What is this company's reputation like? This is perhaps one of the most important things you need to find out, and you would do this on your own. Don't take someone who is trying to sell you their business' word for it. You also need to know exactly what it costs to run the business, how much money the business is making (or not making), and what the projected growth rates would be. Your best bet would be to have an accountant look aver all numbers and figures for you if you are not familiar with the bookkeeping aspect of running a small business. I would also really look into the local market (yours) and do some research as to how a cloth diaper business might work out. Relying on online sales alone would be incredible difficult today as the online cloth diaper market is quite saturated. That's not to say it wouldn't work, you just need to know exactly what you are getting into and what your other options might be for generating sales.

As far as brands to buy/avoid, this is really a personal preference. If you are buying a biz, usually the stock comes with it, so if there is a particular brand you don't wish you carry, you may want to clear it out or sell it off just to get it out of your stock. Hopefully if you are looking at a reputable company, they will have their product lines established in terms of top selling items, and have figures to back this up. Keep in mind, though, that this is always a work in progress! Most retailers are constantly trying new things to see what works, and this also helps to determine what doesn't.

Time involved....LOTS!! Do not underestimate this! Especially with a baby (mine is only 3 mtns), you need to figure out in your own family when you will get work done. As I am just starting out and trying to get everything organized, I am spending absolutely *all* my free time on the business. The only uninterrupted time I currently have is after 11pm when my baby sleeps, so I'm usually up until 3am and then I may get a few hours during the day, depending on how helpful dh chooses to be! LOL! Really talk to your husband about what you need and you are you both going to achieve this.

It really is a big commitment when you are investing in a business. The most important thing would be to do your research and if you are new to running a business entirely, get some books out of your library and write out a business plan. I have been researching this industry now for months, and only recently decided to take the plunge. I also have a background of 10+ years in retail sales and management, so I am pretty comfortable with my decision. It's no good to be second guessing yourself every step of the way.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought an online cd/bw biz before my site launched, but I already had my online store, so basically it was a head-start on inventory. For me, I'm so glad I invested in this venture. However, it is more than an 80 work week for me, so I've had to look into getting a nanny.

Also, I don't expect to turn a profit for quite some time, all profit goes back into the biz.

I also don't get any free time, I'm up until 3am, and again at 8am when baby decides to wake, except I don't have a DH to help me! I'm exhausted, overwhelmed, and I get 5 calls an hour from customers, lots of questions, returns/exchanges... I say if you do decide to go for it, be prepared to turn your world around!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the advice! It's so nice to have other moms share their honest experiences and opinions... I decided to open a small cd biz in my town. I don't think I'm quite ready to have a large online store. Staying local, small, and not relying on it as income will take the pressure off of me until I get my feet on the ground. I really want to have fun sharing cd's with moms in person! Thanks again everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.