Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My number was called for the Circuit Court on Monday. I've never been selected for jury duty before and I have no idea what to expect. Luckily DD is visiting Grandma and Grandpa for a few days. Can you share your experiences with me? Thanks!

· Registered
735 Posts
Hi! I was called for jury duty a few years ago in Baltimore City. My experience went something like this: you show up, they check everyone in, give you your money (I think it's like $5 cash) and a coupon for a discounted lunch at a couple of nearby places and then you sit and wait for them to call your name. They showed two movies, 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon and you get an hour lunch break. My name never got called and by 4:00 they sent us all home.

Bring a good book and good luck!

· Registered
2,168 Posts
I've been called for jury duty 4 times over the last 8 or 9 years. I LOOOVE it. I know that sounds nuts, but that have this place called The Quiet Room, where there's not TV, no radio, no cell phones, and very, very little talking. I bring a book and some cross stitch and enjoy several hours of blessed silence. It's my happy place.

More practically, jury duty is pretty much how LittleBirdy described, except I think that you get $15 for lunch. Then you have to sit through a fairly short video about the importance of serving on a jury and all of the rules. Then you just wait for your number to be called and go to which ever courtroom needs you. When you get to a court room, you have to through voir dire, which is the part where you hear a little bit about the case and then the lawyers ask you questions. Depending on your answers, you might be called up the bench to talk to the judge and the lawyers. Based on your answers, your number, and the size of the jury needed, you are either selected for the jury or dismissed to go back to The Quiet Room.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm planning on bringing my laptop so I can (hopefully) get some work done. I am sort of excited, but also terrified because DH has to report on Friday. Luckily they excused me from the Maryland District Court I was selected for (it was the ENTIRE month of September). The website said they pay $15 and a few parking garages discount your parking to $8. So I guess I'll have $7 left for lunch. They are calling 750 people on Monday, I'm assuming it's not likely I'll get picked, especially being a pregnant woman, but DH told me I'm just what they want in a juror, so I don't know how likely I am to be chosen...

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Which case? I was excused from today's murder trial. Apparently pregnant women are not people they really want on a jury! Fine with me!
Of course, I had to sit in the room until 5 PM to be told that...
: I would have much rather been in the quiet room with my book and laptop!

· Registered
2,168 Posts
This is a bit OT, but I have a funny story about one of the times that DH has served on a jury in Baltimore. It was a civil case, involving a car accident. The driver of one of the cars was suing for $10,000 for "loss of joy," which basically meant that he injured his back and couldn't, um, engage in marital relations with his wife.

DH and the other jurors thought that the guy was a bit shady and wound up awarding him something like $1 because he didn't convince them that his pre-accident sex life had been all that good.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama View Post
This is a bit OT, but I have a funny story about one of the times that DH has served on a jury in Baltimore. It was a civil case, involving a car accident. The driver of one of the cars was suing for $10,000 for "loss of joy," which basically meant that he injured his back and couldn't, um, engage in marital relations with his wife.

DH and the other jurors thought that the guy was a bit shady and wound up awarding him something like $1 because he didn't convince them that his pre-accident sex life had been all that good.

THAT is hilarious! DH has jury duty tomorrow. He is only a few numbers below the highest number they called, so he'll likely spend the first half of the day working on his laptop in the quiet room, and he may get a fun trial like that in the afternoon! LOL. I would have enjoyed that, I'm sure it was a quick and fun trial. I couldn't handle a 5 day murder case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.