Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across 2 different types of tests that claim to let you know the gender at 8 or 10 weeks. One is urine based and only cost about $35, I think it claims an 85% - 90% accuracy rate. The other is blood based, over $200 and claims to be 98% accurate and will refund your money if not. We had been planning to try for a particular gender with the diet, ovulation timing etc. but ended up with a surprise pregancy before we began trying (I will, of course, adore whatever we get but am soooo curious as to what it is!!) and we have such different ideas about names we figure its not even worth discussing until we're pretty certain of gender. I am considering trying one and wondering if anyone else has used one of these in the past? Thanks, Andie

PS - tried the needle thing, I think it said girl but wasn't nearly as clear for me as it was for some of you

· Registered
877 Posts
I haven't but I know people who did the blood test one. It was accurate in most cases I knew of, though it was lower than 98%. (Closer to 80%). One person tried to get their money back since the site claimed they could and they didn't end up being able since their due date was off.

I figure I'll know at around 18/20 weeks. And if I get a shy baby, I'll still know eventually! I don't have any reason to need to know now.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Anyone know about the drano test? I am not sure of the details (because by the time i had heard of it I already knew what DD was). Something about mixing urine and drano and if it separates it is one gender and if it coagulates it is another. I bet it can be googled.

As for the others, I'd probably save my $ and wait it out. If you really have to know, many u/s techs can tell as early as 15-16 weeks. Earlier if it is a boy (like 13 weeks?)

· Registered
428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andielk72 View Post
We had been planning to try for a particular gender with the diet, ovulation timing etc. but ended up with a surprise pregancy before we began trying
I just had to say ditto to this. I had been reading a book about gender selection, and charting, and we were trying to be careful....until we were ready for a real try for a girl. But here we are surprise. So, I know exactly how you feel about wanting to know now! I don't think I would shell out the money for this when it's just a couple months that I can find out anyway.

I have heard of the drano thing, and I've heard it's really ambiguious. Never tried it, though.

· Registered
605 Posts
Just popping in from Dec DDC. I did the urine 'intelligender' test. It said boy. I followed the directions exactly and got very clear results. My DH was devastated last week when we went to our 20 week ultrasound and discovered it is a girl!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.