Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarrassed to even ask this but am curious...
:

Our daughter has been walking since she was about nine months old and now is a full blown runner. In the last month or so she has gotten to the point where she doesn't like to be in the stroller, sling, backpack, or our arms because she wants to be down running. This isn't generally a problem but there are some places (the mall for example) where I don't feel comfortable having her down. She isn't even a year old so I can't just tell her to stay near me and expect her to listen!

Is a child harness an option for an AP parent?
We are going to Italy next September and I am thinking a leash might be a good idea for the airport, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have said it here before but it bears repeating: I thought those leashes were horrible until my nephew turned about 1.5 years old. I am convinced that if my sister had not used the harness, my nephew would have been hurt, lost or taken.

I do not think the harnesses should ever be used as a punishment, but absolutely to keep a kid safe, yes! Especially if you are traveling to another country.

Good luck whatever you decide... & I love your quote- that is a great movie!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by joesmom

I do not think the harnesses should ever be used as a punishment, but absolutely to keep a kid safe, yes! Especially if you are traveling to another country.

This is my sentiment exactly...it truly is for her safety...I think my hesitation is more because it looks so truly barbaric! But, her safety is more important than any dirty looks to me! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
FWIW dh travels frequently and last x-mas watched a lady w/ a baby & toddler basically loose the toddler. He ran off when she turned to check on the baby I think. Thankfully she noticed right away & dh (who was sitting next to her) was able to tell her which way the kid had run. Long story short....after MANY trips...we're both advocates of the harness in busy places.'

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Don't feel bad about asking - this has been discussed many times on mdc.
It tends to get strong reactions one way or another, but here's my two penniworth..

I used a harness on both dds. They loved it. They both used to get it out the bag and ask for me to put it on. They both far preferred to walk with the harness than go in a back pack or stroller.

I often wonder why people respond negatively to them - often more negatively than to a stroller.
To me, it is far preferable to let a child use the legs God gave him than to strap him in a box on wheels. Unless of course he prefers the box on wheels.

I personally think that if you try it and your child likes it, there is nothing whatseoever wrong with it. And having seen my child within inches of being hit by an SUV when we were not using the harness (she was a runner), I have little time for anyone who criticises me for using it.

Interestingly, in all the times we have used one, I've only had two negative comments made by strangers (both rather ignorant men, trying to be funny) and many, many positive comments. So I wouldnt worry about that if you decide to try it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Britishmum
I often wonder why people respond negatively to them - often more negatively than to a stroller.

Same here. People are fine with leashing a dog to keep it safe, but not a child? Makes no sense to me.

I tried to use a harness on my oldest ds when he was about 18 months old. I was traveling from the east coast to Hawaii by myself, and between the carseat and the diaper bag, I just couldn't manage to carry him or hold his hand comfortably. I didn't want to add a stroller to the items of things to drag along. I didn't have a sling (had never even heard of one back then).
I was also a bit afraid of him getting lost in crowded places like the airport in Los Angeles.

Anyway, he was dreadfully insulted. He sat down on the floor and refused to walk until I took the harness off. So we made do. We just moved very slowly and almost missed a connecting flight.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I used one for Abi and loved it! She did, too.
It was a lifesaver since she wouldn't hold my hand and wouldn't always listen when I called her back to my side.

Darshani

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tadpoles
People are fine with leashing a dog to keep it safe, but not a child? Makes no sense to me.
That is EXACTLY what I say! My child is way more important than any pet. They have more freedone on a harness in a busy place than holding my hand. It gives them 2.5 extra feet to roam.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
My dh is the sweetest ever and we can discuss anything...except leashes for kids. He was freaky against them and said that they were degrading and the only association people have with them are for their dogs or horses...but when we were pregnant with ds I talked about little ones that were runners and what is more important to you, having someone swipe your toddler in the blink of an eye or having them safe with you forever? He is now all for the ones that attach around the wrist, but still loathes the kind that go all around the body like a harness. :LOL I have to say I agree.
I like the ones that go around the wrist, but I just don't like the looks of the body harness. Still, if that was all there was and I had a runner...I would use it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
my sisters and mother and i were discussing this yesterday
my sister used an elmo leash on her dd...she LOVES elmo and running and independence so it was a good fit
my big sister remembered my parents trying to use it on her for the first time and she hated it
but they were at the state fair and did not bring anything else for her to ride in.....i think they forced her to ware it...after they started walking around she became distracted by the fair stuff and everything was fine...but she does have a negative memory about it still and she is almost 30...i think she was almost 2 at the time.
any way....if my child didn't mind it and we were in a really busy place i say no problem at all
if my dd didn't like it and we were still in a really big busy place...i would say limited use but still ok.
keeping her safe adn alive is my #1 goal and if that limits her freedoms sometimes then it is still ok......
ex: she would like to jump into the duck pond to swim with the ducks and i often have to physically restrain her kicking and screaming.....in other words i am doing something she does not like. but come on, i am keeping her safe YKWIM
but also today at our little park, in our rather small town, i saw a toddler in a harness and she looked misreable and i thought it was a little dumb.
our park is totally safe, there were just a few other moms with toddlers there, adn the mom was using the leash so she could talk on the cel phone and not watch her kid.

by the way, the maya wrap sling can be used as a harness and that might be a comfortable transistion for some kids, to go from riding in a familiar thing to having it wrapped around their waist so they could walk.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moma justice
by the way, the maya wrap sling can be used as a harness and that might be a comfortable transistion for some kids, to go from riding in a familiar thing to having it wrapped around their waist so they could walk.
Oh, great idea! I have the Maya Wrap Sling...maybe we'll see how she likes it, next time we're out and it makes sense.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a friend whose twins were only 20 months when number three arrived. The twins have leashes, and it is all about her peace of mind. I support that 100%. What is horrible is that she was at the zoo in PA and her mom had the kids on the leashes. Some woman started BARKING at the kids. Then she turned to my friend, not knowing that they were her kids and started going on and on and on about how horrible it was to degrade them like that. The conversation that ensued was not pretty....

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moma justice
I was going to say the same thing! we've been having a lot of work done on the house and lots of coming and going of men in big vans that dont watch where they are driving and I feel much better running behind DS with him in a harness than not

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
We used a harness with Timmy. He was a runner, and we used to just hold his hand, till one day he did the dead fish flop. I still had hold of his hand and he ended up with a dislocated elbow
They called it "nursemaid's elbow" and said it's all too common because most people don't like harnesses. The doctor said that it's not good for a child's elbow or shoulder to have their hand held all of the time by someone so much taller than they are, it puts a lot of stress on the joints. So we used a harness from then on. Timmy loved it, he had a bit more freedom than when holding hands and was just as safe. If I had to grab him quickly I just grabbed the back of the harness.

-Heather

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBeads
I've never had to use one myself but if it meant the difference between keeping my child safe or losing her - I'd use it in a heartbeat.
Same here. If I had needed one to keep my kids safe, I would have used one. I think it is a great idea for an airport!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers
We used a harness with Timmy. He was a runner, and we used to just hold his hand, till one day he did the dead fish flop. I still had hold of his hand and he ended up with a dislocated elbow
They called it "nursemaid's elbow" and said it's all too common because most people don't like harnesses.
My younger child had that condition twice. Once was from overly-rough play with his brother, and another time was because he tripped and fell while I had hold of his hand. Not pretty at all!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have a harness, but have used it in only a few, isolated instances. I chose to use it because of safety reasons. It is better to have our children safe, right? I think an airport would be the ideal place to use it because it would be better to know where your child is rather than to have them get hurt or kidnapped.

The couple times I used it I expected to get negative feedback from strangers--quite the opposite. I have had several people ask me where I bought it because they can't take their children shopping because they run off so much. Don't feel guilty for protecting your child.

I just went back and read the other comments and noticed that one where the child refused to walk. If you are going to use it at the airport, get her used to it first. Try it out a few times where you won't be getting negative stares if she happens to have a bad reaction to it the first couple times.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I used to think they were horrible and barbaric too. Then I read John Lennon used one- well, he tied a rope around his son's waist- bc his baby was a wild man. I think I have that kind of baby myself now so I might be shopping for one once he's walking. Like any tool it can be mis- or over-used.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.