Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready for my first Hypnobabies class, and listened to the first CD yesterday. When it got to the part about "meeting your baby" it was very upsetting because it really hit me for the first time that this baby will probably live, and we will have to raise him without his older sister. (Fetal demise at 6 months.) I felt worse rather than better after the CD was over. Obviously I was going to have to face up to this sooner or later, and I assume everyone who has had a baby after a loss has the same feelings at some point, but I was wondering if anyone has had this sort of reaction to the Hypnobabies CDs specifically and if you have any words of advice on dealing with it. I do plan to ask the instructor as well but the class doesn't start for another week.

·
Registered
743 Posts
well, i PLAN on using hypnobirthing techniques again in any subsequent pregnancy and birth, and hypnobabies is a little different than marie mongan's hypnobirthing techniques- but the same general idea, so i guess i can comment here...

for me, the most important thing about using hypnosis was the breathing techniques, and the state of relaxation that you need to achieve in order for it to 'work'. i used hypnobirthing for my first pregnancy and birth, and as soon as i realized i was in labor, i began my breathing and relaxation, and, to my immense happiness and sheer amazement, everything fell into place and was working the way i had hoped and was told it would. i think the state of relaxation i was in helped with the state of shock i moved into when we realized she had died.

anyway, the cd's that come with these programs can be used as guidelines. you can create your own cd or tape that you can listen to, with your own voice, using affirmatons and words that are not triggering to your previous birth loss. you can use these affirmations not only to help with your relaxation, but you can use them to specifically address the fears that are present because of your previous loss. with coral's pregnancy, i got into a state of relaxed breathing and gave myself my own specific affirmations to help myself go into labor when my edd came and went, such as allowing my brain to flood my body with the natural hormones to begin labor. i really didn't want pitocin at the hospital!! i really believe it helped her birth to start the following day.

i am sure your hypnobabies instructor will be able to guide you through this.
i hope you can update this thread to let me know what your instructor said. everything i wrote here is from my own best-case-scenario hopes, but it would be interesting to hear what the instructer says about hypnobirth after a loss. thanks!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I too have not used this method after my loss but I have had 2 succesful hypnobirthing experiences w/ the marie mongan method. W/ my third pg is ended in m/c and the labor was rather difficult. I ended up using my hypnobirthing music and methods to get through the labor. My labor would become really difficult w/ mntion of meeting the baby bcs I knew it was dead but then I would relax again.
I started listening to the tapes again several weeks ago (i am 35 wks pg now) and I was really tense adn crying myself to sleep. I talked to my midwife and she is going to do a fear release on me that will help me to not associate the m/c w/ my current labor and birth. I have done fear realeases in the past and they work wonders. i can let you know how it works.
I would recommend asking your instructor specifically about a fear release that pertains to you and your situation and see if she is willing to do a private one for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts