1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Homebirth vs. Hospital Birth

Interesting debate!!
It's been around for a while, and it's a "debate" in the same way that tearing the wings off flies is a "debate" with an insect.

Dr. Amy seems to have absolutely nothing better to do with her time than condemn all those with whom she disagrees. Either she doesn't work or she doesn't sleep. Either way, I question the emotional and psychological stability of someone who seems to have a pathological *need* to obliterate homebirth families, midwives, and everything associated with them

Valerie
Illinois

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
wow, they got it wrong in the first few sentences already.

"stating while home birthing after a normal pregnancy is relatively safe, on an individual basis, the statistics aren't reassuring if you're that one person out of hundreds or thousands that has complications."

We are not comparing possible risk (homebirth) with risk free environment (hospital). being in a hospital carries risks of it's own ( like increased chance of interventions) which should be the standard you compare to.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
It's been around for a while, and it's a "debate" in the same way that tearing the wings off flies is a "debate" with an insect.

Dr. Amy seems to have absolutely nothing better to do with her time than condemn all those with whom she disagrees. Either she doesn't work or she doesn't sleep. Either way, I question the emotional and psychological stability of someone who seems to have a pathological *need* to obliterate homebirth families, midwives, and everything associated with them

Valerie
Illinois

I'm confused... did you read the link? It's not the Dr. Amy site/blog.
It's a series of letters written between a (male) OB and a (male) homebirth advocate.

I read through the whole thing.... it's intresting.
Of course it's just a regurgitation of stuff I already know and have heard on both sides. But, it was an intresting read, I liked seeing how it played out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhagen View Post
I'm confused... did you read the link? It's not the Dr. Amy site/blog.
It's a series of letters written between a (male) OB and a (male) homebirth advocate.

I read through the whole thing.... it's intresting.
Of course it's just a regurgitation of stuff I already know and have heard on both sides. But, it was an intresting read, I liked seeing how it played out.
Uh...well...ok....don't I feel stupid.
I ASSumed -- which is always a bad thing to do, and I should know better -- that it was the Dr. Amy site. My sincere apologies...next time I will double-check before I post!

Valerie
Illinois

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Quote:
...home birthing after a normal pregnancy is relatively safe, on an individual basis, the statistics aren't reassuring if you're that one person out of hundreds or thousands that has complications.
If I hear this stupid argument one more time I'm going to SCREAM! The homebirth advocate called him on this one, but he never responded. I guess because he realized that it's simply fear-mongering. He's basically stating that you will NOT have the complication in the hospital and that you should feel guilty and blame yourself if you have a home birth and the complication occurs.

He also seems to totally forget that if something comes up the midwife can't handle, they don't just sit there and let the baby die. THEY GET IN THE CAR AND DRIVE TO THE HOSPITAL!!! Midwives aren't stupid. They know when things are beyond their skills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.