Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this post on the Cool Mom Picks blog today and didn't know if anyone had heard this yet....a new act that got passed by the CPSC could put small toy manufacturers and handmade toy makers out of business? They are pleading for people to write congress and the CPSC to help save handmade, made in the USA, and made in Europe toys.

Here is the link to the blog, and it contains links on how to help:
We need your help to save handmade toys

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else...I didn't see anything in Family Safety and figured it should be here?

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh good! I figured I could not have been the first to hear of this. I'll check out the other one, thanks!

· Registered
4,374 Posts
while the spirit of this is in the right place, this could very well be the death knoll of many WAHM's and small businesses. Also likely an end to the availability of a lot of European toys, since they will likely pull out of the market rather than spend the extra money to comply with all the testing.

The government is requiring that all products be tested (even things like cloth diapers and baby carriers), and the testing is very pricey. and because of the way it's worded right now, each different item will require separate testing - so for example, WRT a baby carrier, each fabric choice is considered a different product and therefore each kind would need to be tested separately. So if these small businesses are able to work within the rules, it will definitely mean fewer choices that change much less frequently.

i was really pleased at first when i found out the government was doing something about toxic toys. and now i'm just totally depressed.

· Registered
7,052 Posts
Yeah, it's rediculous that they have to test each PRODUCT, not just each component once. So if they have a red wooden car and a blue wooden car, and the wood is the same, you woudl think they could test the paint once and the wood once and they'd be set. But no, they have to teast BOTH cars. Rediculous! If this stands, all the toys will be MIC.

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really depressed, too. I've been on a personal campaign to buy as little MIC stuff as possible, including my kids' toys. This just might make that impossible

I'm really sad about what it might do to Etsy sellers, I get a ton of stuff for my kids off there. And I had all kinds of cool things bookmarked for when my daughter gets older, like Waldorf dolls and cute dresses. I can't sew worth a darn, so I was going to let Etsy make them for me!

I sent emails to all my reps and got one response back so far...it was obviously canned as it had nothing to do with small businesses or American toy companies. It just talked about how great this will be for our children.

I'm seriously going to cry, and the saddest part is I'm crying for selfish reasons. I don't even have money to lose here like so many people do, I'm just mourning the loss of great toys for my children.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
I really wonder if this isn't so much about children's safety, but in response to the whole China scare and loss of business. I mean, since that scare, more and more consumers are now shopping elsewhere for their children's things than the standard MIC companies, and the industry is hurting because they've lost our trust.

So the gov't, by putting such restrictions on the little companies, is helping out the big guys by making it so that we will pretty much be *forced* to buy from them. They know that companies like Fisher Price and Little Tikes will be able to afford the necessary testing, whereas Grandpa Joe with his little homemade doll furniture won't.

And Baby Bjorn & Snugli will, but "Miss Mary" who makes Mei Tais won't.
And Pampers of course won't have a problem, but BumGenius may.

:

· Registered
4,919 Posts
Didn't it pass already? You guys realize this, right? It goes into effect next month. We are trying to have it changed or reversed. This IS happening unless we get it to CHANGE!!

· Registered
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
i think there's no way this will pass as it is. it's just too over the top.
i emailed my reps anyway, though...

Yes, it ALREADY passed and WILL be put into law. That's why we're all worried. We need it to get delayed being put into law until they can change in so that small companies have a fighting chance.

· Registered
15,273 Posts
I've read about this a few times now and I must be REEEEALLLLY slow, or missing something. Or both. But I son't get it. Can someone explain it like I'm 3, maybe?

I could be reading it wrong or I dunno - it seems simple enough to everyone else.

· Premium Member
17,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
I really wonder if this isn't so much about children's safety, but in response to the whole China scare and loss of business. I mean, since that scare, more and more consumers are now shopping elsewhere for their children's things than the standard MIC companies, and the industry is hurting because they've lost our trust.

So the gov't, by putting such restrictions on the little companies, is helping out the big guys by making it so that we will pretty much be *forced* to buy from them. They know that companies like Fisher Price and Little Tikes will be able to afford the necessary testing, whereas Grandpa Joe with his little homemade doll furniture won't.

And Baby Bjorn & Snugli will, but "Miss Mary" who makes Mei Tais won't.
And Pampers of course won't have a problem, but BumGenius may.

:
For as much as it stinks, that makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.