Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else done this?

The back-story: dh and I are full-time students, with one dd 8 years old. We really, really, really want another baby, but are trying to time things so that the little one would be born over the summer vacation...I just don't think I could handle giving birth mid-semester, I'm in a heavily academic honors program, planning on continuing to graduate school in the humanities (part of the reason to have the baby NOW... I think we'd adjust better to having a baby in our last year as undergraduates in our familiar place than in the first year of a PhD program somewhere-we-don't-know-where-yet.)

In any case, logistically what this means is that I could conceive any time between the end of September and the beginning-middle of December, but after that time, the window closes and we wait until the next fall to try again for a summer baby.

Of course, you make plans and God laughs, and I could totally see an accidental pregnancy with a due date in October happening to throw all of my plans out of whack, but has anyone ever planned a summer baby? Any teachers out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep--I'm a teacher and dd 1 was planned to be a late April birth so that I would not return to school until the fall (of course, I ended up on bedrest and she was born prematurely, and I went back for the last two weeks of the school year, so the best laid plans . . . ).

Have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler? It tells you everything you need to know about fertility awareness and charting so that it is easier to conceive when you want to.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I'm currently planning a summer baby. Aiming for at least a week after finals are over and no later than the very beginning of August so I'll have at least a month to establish breastfeeding. If it doesn't work this time, we'll try next year. We've also planned, that if we don't have a baby next summer, we're going to Hawaii.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I just noticed that your sig lists you as 28 days to ttc... is it that time already? Am I getting the dates wrong? Are your finals earlier than mine?
:

·
Registered
674 Posts
While we are just trying o have an baby right now, I also know that from know onwards the baby will be due in late April or further, which is great as it means I should be able to continuing as a Teaching Assistant through the Spring (aka: Winter) semester, as I SHOULD be done marking even their finals by then!

We were trying for anytime after i finish my MA thesis (which should be this fall), and before I start my PhD (which could have been this fall, but is now next fall).

I am also reminded of some teachers from way back in the day, who got to be quite pregnant late in the school year (May-June) and never missed a year of teaching!

I am glad for 4 month semesters now -- as a 3-4 month break is much better than a 1-2 month one!

Good luck!
:

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halalove
Also, I just noticed that your sig lists you as 28 days to ttc... is it that time already? Am I getting the dates wrong? Are your finals earlier than mine?
:
My finals are the first week of May. August 20th makes an EDD of May 13--a week after my last possible final. I won't actually ovulate until ~ Sept. 7. I've thought about making more of a safety net, but then I realized if I have a preterm baby I've got more problems than just needing to take some classes again.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halalove

Of course, you make plans and God laughs, and I could totally see an accidental pregnancy with a due date in October happening to throw all of my plans out of whack, but has anyone ever planned a summer baby? Any teachers out there?

Thanks!
My dh is a college professor. They often have summer babies

It worked for the first and third but the second came 2 weeks before the semster ended. We conceived a month earlier than we meant to. (it was cold outside and we were camping
)

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Hala- How much school do you have left? I am personally planning a Summer baby for a variety of reasons, one of which is my schooling situation. I have to graduate by 2009 or my credits start expiring and my prepaid college no longer applies. If I get pregnant before I intend to I will just have the baby and I will just take whatever semester off that I need to and resume on a reduced schedule. I have enough time and few enough credits left that I can do this though.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm with ya! I'd love to try this month (I'll be ovualting any day now), but I'm a grad student, so I really want to get a semester in. I'm also trying to figure out how hard I should push myself this next year as far as classes go 6 or 9 credit hours in the fall, but with possible morning sickness and fatigue, not to mention my 3 year old ... UGH! lol

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I'm new to MDC, but I'm a teacher too! My husband is in the military and his recent training schedule has meant frequent moves, so in January, I started going to graduate school full time. We are *thinking* about TTC #1, but timing is the question. I have completed 15 of 36 hours and am registered for 12 hours this fall. (Yes, I am insane.) That will leave me with 9 credit hours left, including my thesis. I *might* be able to be done next spring if classes align perfectly, but it's more likely I'll finish up in the summer or next fall. I have short cycles, so if we TTC next month, I'd be due during spring finals. The other thing is, my husband thinks I should be completely done with grad school before having kids, but I really don't think one or two classes would be impossible with a kid. I can take a semester off if I need to and I have plenty of time (I think 9 years LOL) before I HAVE to be done, although I don't plan on stretching it out that long! So that's our current disagreement. Anyone else have the same problem?

I would love a summer baby, though. I was and I love having a June birthday!

Nicole

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps we're crazy, but I'm going to try to continue full-time (15 credits) next fall. Morning sickness, fatigue and all. With dd #1 I worked as a full-time restaurant line cook, so I'm hoping that sitting in a classroom will be a little less stressful...

After the new little one arrives (cross your fingers!) dh and I are going to schedule diametrically opposed school days--all morning classes for me (full-time), all weekend and evening classes for him (part time). He only works afternoons/evenings and so would be available to take care of the little one while I'm in morning classes. This is the plan at least...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
We did this with #1. I was starting my last year of school and wanted to be sure I would graduate before the baby came. I came off the pill in August, we started TTC in September, got PG in October when I finally O'ed, and DS was born in July. Hope it works as well for you!

ETA: I went to school full-time (15 credits per semester) and worked part-time the whole time I was PG. It was a little hard the first trimester when I was nauseous/constantly peeing/so tired I could barely keep my eyes open after lunch.
But it was very do-able. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Yep, I have two planned summer babies. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I planned my second baby's birth over Xmas break. My partner and I are both undergrads (I'm graduating in Dec., he's graduating in May). Luka was due Dec. 26, born Dec. 21. I started classes on Jan. 9, and took him with me to class in the mei tai. I only took 12 hours, but got a 3.4 for the semester. I'm glad we conceived on the first try, though, because Xmas break is a short window!
My partner is entering a PhD program next fall and if we have a third baby, it'll be an early summer babe (May/June), since he'll be a busy grad student or professor.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm a full time college student and when we had ds it was totally unplanned. He was due two days after classes were scheduled to end!!! eek! I'm glad I finished that semester of school and I can say that it was definately doable, but it was hard. It's very difficult to concentrate on reading intense philosophical works, or study mri images of the brain when you have a baby kicking you in the ribs! I definately pushed myself a bit too much that semester, I had a full courseload with some pretty intense classes. I did end up taking two incompletes and finished them the next semester. I wish you the best of luck, I can say from experience that you can do it!! especially if you go into it knowingly. But do be realistic with yourself, the last thing you want is to go into labor in the middle of exams!

haha funny side note story. One of the classes I took that semester was on prenatal/infant brain development. Aparantely DS REALLY didn't like the topic of conversation one day...we were having a debate on genetic testing during pregnancy and the debate got pretty heated. In the middle of sharing my perspective on things, I swear ds was trying to chime in. He kept kicking me quite hard in the ribs and every so often I would let out a little "ouch" just to make his voice heard! haha, he provided for some interesting experiences being at school in my last trimester. but then again I live in a weird little hippie bubble world when I'm at school....

·
Registered
639 Posts
Cute story, Kristen.
I am starting to worry though about conceiving the first month we try and being due a week or so after finals (dd was a week early, not that that's a great predictor ...
). I'm also worried about having m/s with 9 credit hours of class this fall, so I'm considering dropping one class, I'd rather not be stressed out and send negative stress hormones to the babe, kwim? The work load for 2 classes isn't supposed to be so bad and the other class is an internship with flexibility in hours - actually I can finish it after the semester is over.
: And of course I'm also worried about being too tired to get everything done. I'm already worrying about how many classes to take next spring and/or if I should take Comps ...

AND I'M NOT EVEN PREGNANT - we're ttc in about 2 weeks! LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts