Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Hi. I am very interested in your responses. I've just begun signing with my ds (born 8-25-02) and I am very excited about this non-verbal communication. I think humans are incredible!...especially little humans. I am wondering if any of your children continued signing even after they began talking. Have any of you continued teaching sign language as a second or third language? I don't mean to overshadow the main topic of this thread, but I am very curious.

Thanks,
nappyhair

· Registered
125 Posts
That is great! Are you also bilingual? Was it conscious on your part that your daughter be bilingual? Why do some children stop signing once they begin speaking? Do any of you know? Is it because some parents encourage speaking over signing? I am really curious because I just began teaching my son his first signs and I am thrilled to be learning ASL right along with him. Since we speak Swahili and English at home, I think signing is a wonderful way for him to be trilingual.

My friend's son just "took off" with signing the other day. He is about 14 months old. She said he creates variations of signs she has taught him.

I think it is wonderful that children begin creating their own signs. Getting your point across is the point of communication. I will definitely encourage my ds to create his own.

I like this thread a lot.

· Registered
125 Posts
I just want to say that I completely agree with you, Sozobe, that ASL and home signs should not be perceived as being interchangeable because they are not. I understand why you emphasize the difference and feel it should be emphasized.

I think you have chosen wonderful and fun ways of encouraging your daughter to sign.

Multilingualism is awesome!

Peace and blessings,
nappyhair

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.