Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD's our first baby, so I have nothing to compare notes with, so I'm asking you ladies..

DD has recently, with in the last few days, began protesting about being in the sling.
: She literally spazes out, kicks her legs, arches her back, hits me, screams, etc.

I've used it since early on and she has always loved it. She sleeps in it while I run errands, housework, etc. She used to LOVE being in it. Now the only thing she likes is facing out with the wrap, but she gets so tired she can't hold her head up, so I switch her around facing in, and same thing, she freaks out.

I've tried all different positions and holds, and the wrap is the only thing she actually likes. Please tell me this is a phase.
:

We've checked for anything that might be hurting her (hubby is a naturopath) and we're going to the chiro tomorrow, but it mostly seems that she doesn't want to be all bundled up. She seems to have more freedom to move in the wrap.

The only crappy thing is that I've been putting the wrap on before I leave home, so as to avoid wrapping myself in the parking lot while I sweat my arse off (South Florida - HOT), which is a major PIA. Plus, it's just hot and heavy, and totally sticky and nasty by the time we get home.

She actually acts like she prefers the stroller these days. *sigh*
:

I've tried putting her in it loosely, nursing her to sleep, then slowly tightening it up. Didn't work. She woke up wiggling to get loose.

Help!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i can't tell you yes or no on if its a phase.

Ds has hated all the slings and pouches and carriers i have tryed him in. He hates to be confined. So we ended up having the best success with his stroller, much to my dismay.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My first daughter absolutely LOVED being carried, from day one. She still begs to be carried, and she's 4!

But my second babe... did go through a phase where she didn't want to be carried, where she wanted to be on the ground where she could see all the action, and move her body. I let it go for awhile, and carried her for brief times here and there... but we eventually reached a point where she wanted to be in my carriers for longer periods at a time. Now she ASKS to be carried- she's 18 months old now.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things- trying different carries, carriers, checking things out, making sure she's happy. Just stay with it and y'all will get back into the groove, hopefully!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My two boys have been like that, too. My first refused the cradle hold no matter what I tried. He was okay in an upright position and fairly happy in the kangaroo hold, once he could hold his head up. I didn't have a wrap with him, but I did start using a mei-tei at 6 months and he was usually okay facing towards me or on my back. Have you tried on your back yet? That might have more visibility than facing in on your front.

My second (another March '06 baby) was okay with the cradle hold when he was really tired for a couple months, and put up with the kangaroo hold for awhile, but now the only way that really works is to face out in the wrap like you're experiencing. If he falls asleep, I can usually tuck his head under some side fabric so it doesn't flop over too much. I've just started trying some back carries when my husband is around and it works sometimes. He's teething and mostly chews the straps.

Anyway, you're not the only one whose kid isn't a big sling fan.

·
Registered
149 Posts
DS went on a sling strike when he was about five months old, I think. It was so frustrating to me, because I had just ordered... and waited weeks for... and finally received... my new Freehand MT. He just would not ride in ANYTHING. It was like you described: spazzing out, arching his back, yelling. This was a baby who literally had spent most of his early months sleeping in a sling, but now he wouldn't let me use anything, not a Hotsling, not the Moby, not the ringsling, not the new MT...

This went on for weeks, but every few days I'd try putting him in something again. We tried different carries, different slings, etc. When he got mad I'd just take him out and not make a big deal of it. He was best when we were somewhere that his attention was occupied, because then he didn't seem to mind it too much. Eventually, he just seemed to get over it. Not long after the boycott ended, he would ride and even fall asleep in the same previously hated MT.
For him, it really was a phase. Now, he usually rides on my hip in a Hotsling, so he can look around easily. And he's much happier there than in his stroller.

So, it might be a phase, but each baby is different. Keep trying! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We had an awkward time with it at around 2-3mos since he didn't quite fit the newborn hold anymore but wasn't quite ready to be upright either. I left it be for a few weeks then came back to it. It is still our primary carrier.

·
Registered
355 Posts
my baby is still really young, but as a newborn he HATED the sling, and still does, but he loves the Moby wrap......I have a feeling he will like the sling again when he can sit up. My hunch is that it's a phase and the baby wearing philosophy will only get you as far as your little one will let ya! Or perhaps it's an issue of timing, or skill at getting them in and out? I know that I had a hard time at first. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
My son tolerated cradle hold in my Hotsling when asleep as a new newborn and sometimes awake. As he got older he increasingly refused it. Now (3 1/2 months) he will only go for kangaroo hold, and usually only while moving.

Though today he calmly sat through nearly an hour in it with me chilling on bleachers, so you never know. Babies change a lot. Keep trying, eventually you will find something that works for both of you!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Dd is like that with wraps. She prefers the Mei Tais when its warm outside so we don't stick. Have you tried a different carrier?

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellp
Dd is like that with wraps. She prefers the Mei Tais when its warm outside so we don't stick. Have you tried a different carrier?
I have a sling and a wrap. She hates the sling, no matter what I do. She only likes the wrap facing out. I *was* going to get an Ellaroo Mei Tei (had my eye on one for a while) because putting her on my back with a wrap while bending over hurts too much (degenerative spine), but I'm reluctant now in case she hates that too. I have also tried her on my back, and she hates that as well. She can't see me, so it's instant spazzing.
:

Quote:
Or perhaps it's an issue of timing, or skill at getting them in and out? I know that I had a hard time at first. Good luck!
Nah, we're pretty good slinging. I've used it since she was days old, and until this week she used to love it.

But, I think she's getting close to crawling. She's only 4 months old, and my husband said she crawled yesterday, and I was like yeah right, but while we were playing on the floor this morning she rolled herself on to her tummy, got her butt in the air, lifted herself with one arm, and pushed herself about 2 feet in the direction of the toy box!!

Perhaps she's resisting the sling because she would rather "do it herself"? I crawled at 5 months and was walking at 9 months, so maybe?...

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60
I have a sling and a wrap. She hates the sling, no matter what I do. She only likes the wrap facing out.

But, I think she's getting close to crawling. She's only 4 months old, and my husband said she crawled yesterday, and I was like yeah right, but while we were playing on the floor this morning she rolled herself on to her tummy, got her butt in the air, lifted herself with one arm, and pushed herself about 2 feet in the direction of the toy box!!

Perhaps she's resisting the sling because she would rather "do it herself"? I crawled at 5 months and was walking at 9 months, so maybe?...
I think you may have your answer right there. She is really developmentally focused on her mobility right now. Of course she is wanting to stay free of mobility restrictions. Mobility is the area in which her brain is growing most quickly right now. Her biological imperative is to do everything to meet the milestone she is working on. If she doesn't like the sling right now, you can give it a rest. She may become into the sling again once she is feeling competant in getting around (then again, she may continue to prefer being free so she can work on pulling herself up to stand, cruising, and walking, etc.). I say, follow her lead. She knows what she needs to grow.

Also, in terms of her wanting to face out in the wrap, sounds like a related issue. Suddenly, now that she is working on actually getting to where she wants to go, the world has become a whole lot more interesting. She is taking it in with new eyes! She doesn't want to miss a thing. Good for her!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Oh, and my Ergo is a whole much more like a wrap or carrier than a sling. ds rides on my back (usually) and sometimes front, and once or twice on my hip, depending on how engaged he wants to be with the world and what he wants to see. I don't think you can face them outward in the Ergo when they are carried up front, but that wasn't an issue with ds because he can see quite a bit of what I am seeing from my back...especially (at his size?) because he can peer around me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts