Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made an obnoxiously sweet batch of red raspberry jam. (Though, I'm sure my kids will like it!)

Does anyone have any non-sugar or low sugar jam recipes for the fruits in season right now? (I have red raspberries, strawberries and marionberries a plenty now...and I'm anticipating a big bounty of blackberries, which are free for the picking in the PNW!)

Is there a jam making book or web-site anyone would recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
you could undo all your work to fix your super sweet jam by cooking another say half batch and added it to your already jarred jam that you have taken out of the jar then resealing it. or you could take the jarred jam out and add lemon juice the re seal it. if you hear of any mullberry recipes i would love them we seem to have a good crop this year.
maya

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I used to make jam with commercial pecitin but just couldn't stand having to add so much sugar. Now I just throw the fruit into a pot and cook it down (couple of hours). Then add sugar to taste. Boil about 30 to 45 minutes to thicken and can. The jam is plenty thick enough for us and tastes so much better I think. So far this year, I have made strawberry, blackberry and apricot this way and they all came out YUMMY!

For cookbooks, I look in Betty Crocker and Joy of Cooking in their canning sections. I also like The Encyclopedia of Country Living.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I love Universal Fruit Pectin, because it uses a different thickening agent that doesn't depend on so much sugar, so you can use less sugar or even none at all. I buy it at Whole Foods.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, all. I didn't realize that sugar is the thickening agent as well. I went to the library today and borrowed some jam making books that use less sugar. Cathe, I am going to try your jam making method -- sounds much better than the recipe I followed!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I just made 6 pints and 7 cups of blackberry jam today! ( I had to clear out my freezer to make room for the ice cream maker I want to get this weekend
)

To answer your question, Moss - it's definitely not PC but I don't water bath at all - I just do the open kettle method that my 90 year old neighbor taught me. The books say 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There's commercial low sugar pectin that works just great. Easy recipes are in the package for low or no sugar jam. I've done it with strawberries with good results.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I have never made jam (although I'd love to) but most of the jams we buy don't have any added sugar and they are great! So it seems easy, especially with berries that are so naturally sweet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My grandma just gave me a 5 gallon bucket of apricots and I would like to make jam. I have never made apricot jam though.

Could someone please help.

Do you peel them?

If so do I blanch them and put in ice water and peel like a peach?

I am going to just cook them down with no pectin (like my other grandma does).

How much do they need chopped?

She said she puts in crushed pineapple and that it is really good, so I think I will try that.

Any guess as to how many jars I will need?

I have just started canning and will need to buy pints for this project.

Thanks,
Stephanie

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I made apricot jam a few weeks ago. This is what I did. Immerse apricots in boiling water so I could remove skins and pits. Put them all in a big pot, cook down for a couple of hours. Add sugar to taste and some lemon juice. Then canned the jam. You don't need to chop them, they fall apart when you are pitting them. I don't know how many jars - when I did my big stock pot full I made about 8 or 10 pints I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts