Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wanting to get a feel for how many the parents in these forums and actually had a child has a reaction.I want to know how rare is rare, you know?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It's really rare. But the internet is big, and parents who believe their child is vaccine injured will tend to cluster if sites supportive of anti vaccine views. So you will find some.

Not my kids were absolutely fine.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
My son is also fine and has received every vaccine on the recommended schedule and on time. Including a yearly Flu vaccine starting at 6 months old.

I do not know anyone IRL that has ever suffered a vaccine reaction other than a sore arm or slight fever.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am mostly concerned about the DTaP vaccine because that seems to be the one associated with the most problems. I already know how many of the people on mothering feel about it but do y'all have any information that might make this decision easier?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My son had a high fever (104.7) after MMR and the fever was high enough that he woke up trembling. I later found out about febrile seizures and looked at videos of kids having them, but I could not say whether that's what his trembling was. It didn't happen again by the time we got to the ER. His fever went down after about 2-3 days and nothing else came of it.

My baby had a mild fever overnight after her 6 mo shots. I was expecting it. I didn't treat it with tylenol and it was gone by morning.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My son never had any reactions. Not even the grouchy/tired/low grade fever kind :)

When I got the flu shot this year, the next day I felt crappy and draggy for a few hours. It passed on its own. (Now 3 months later I have the flu! Grr, they REALLY got the wrong strain this year!)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am mostly concerned about the DTaP vaccine because that seems to be the one associated with the most problems. I already know how many of the people on mothering feel about it but do y'all have any information that might make this decision easier?
DTP (the old version) was the subject of a huge controversy in the 1980's. Because pertussis disease can cause brain damage, most experts agreed that there could be a theoretical risk of the vaccine causing some type of neurological harm.

However, Paul Offit points out that brain damage from the disease was due to the infant having long periods of not breathing during a coughing spell, and not due to an inflammatory response. Since the vaccine could not cause the respiratory issues that the bacteria causes, because it doesn't cause infection (whole cell pertussis was a killed bacteria vaccine), then it was very unlikely to have caused the cases of brain damage.

Even so, many cases were awarded because it was unknown at the time. Recent research seems to suggest that a genetic condition, which has a neurological component, can show its first symptoms after fevers or at about 18weeks of life. Since childhood vaccines sometime cause mild fevers, children with this pre-existing condition were developing signs around the time of their first vaccines. It is thought that this explains many of the cases of neurological damage that were awarded in the early years of the vaccine court associated with the DPT vaccine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3152151/

Now, the vaccine is no longer a whole cell, killed bacteria. Instead, it is comprised of several of the molecules ('antigens') from the bacterial cell that the immune system can identify. So while the immune system still identifies the vaccine antigens as pertussis, the actual cell is no longer even included.

Since the severe negative effects of pertussis disease are associated with the infection, and not an inflammatory response, then it's not really possible for the few 'antigens' in the vaccine to cause serious harm. The immune system just doesn't respond to them in a way that is harmful.

Some serious side effects are still listed because of the theoretical association (as I described earlier, if infection with the pathogen can cause a certain response, then it is considered theoretically plausible for the vaccine to cause the same thing).

Safety studies haven't found such a connection between serious reactions and the vaccine because, as you'll read on the CDC site and elsewhere, they are so rare in children of this age overall that when it does happen, it's nearly impossible to tell for certain if it was from the vaccine.

Safety studies show that the most serious reaction to DTaP is high fever, and that is uncommon. Several comprehensive safety studies have all shown the same thing.

The DTaP vaccine is really not as scary as it seems, but it does have a complicated history and that can be confusing.

ETA- Here's a link to the latest safety review, which included DTaP
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/06/26/peds.2014-1079.full.pdf+html

And a summary of it from science writer/blogger Tara Haelle
http://www.redwineandapplesauce.com/2014/07/01/new-systematic-review-assesses-all-the-serious-risks-of-us-childhood-vaccines/

The researchers found no evidence that the DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis) vaccine causes any conditions, including diabetes (which four studies specifically looked for), or serious adverse events.
(Note: The CDC lists high fevers (up to 105 F among 1 in 16,000 recipients) and febrile seizures (1 in 14,000) as a possible adverse event, but the actual evidence is mixed on that. The previous whole cell DTP vaccine definitely could cause febrile seizures, but research on the acellular pertussis vaccine has found either no association with seizures or a much lower rate, as little as 1 in 19,500 children. Febrile seizures are already not uncommon among children, with an estimated 1 in 25 children experiencing them at some point in childhood. They do not cause brain damage, learning problems or epilepsy.)

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks! That's good info! Have you heard of the "dtap scream"? I tginknim getting my kids the dtap on the 4th so I'm just trying to sort it out. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks! That's good info! Have you heard of the "dtap scream"? I tginknim getting my kids the dtap on the 4th so I'm just trying to sort it out. :)
Yes, I've heard that phrase. Whenever I've heard people mention it, they assume that it's due to encephalopathy, or brain damage, which as I mentioned above isn't associated with DTaP in any of the safety studies.

The "dtap scream" maybe a remnant of the old DTP controversy. I don't doubt that parents experience some crying, screaming or fussiness that they might later label as a "dtap scream" after they read about it online, but there's just no evidence that such a thing exists.

I was looking for this earlier, and didn't want to post until I found it: A story of a mom who trusted the science but still had her moment of doubt and panic when she thought her baby's screaming after shots meant something more.

My baby cried louder than science
http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2011/08/my-baby-cried-louder-than-science.html
http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that, I'm glad I posted in this section. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts