Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to be creative and I bought this can of coconut milk. I've searched on the internet but all the recipes have meat in it. I would like a vegetarian recipe. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is an Allrecipes.com search for recipes including coconut milk but not including chicken, beef, shrimp and scallops (I'm not sure scallops really fit in there, but was trying to think of some other meat type item that might be included in coconut milk recipes.)

It seems to have come up with lots of desserts but on the second page, there is a tasty sounding tofu dish. There are probably other main dish recipes in that search, but I didn't browse past the second page.

Another thing that I think would be tasty would be to take a normal chicken curry recipe and leave out the curry but add potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Now that I think about it, here is a coconut rice salad that I'm planning on making some time this week that uses coconut milk. Fish sauce is one of the ingredients but I'm pretty sure it would taste good without it. You can try reading through the reviews for the recipe to see if anyone has made it without the fish sauce.

If worse came to worse, I'd make coconut ice cream with it by adding milk and/or cream (of your choice - cow, soy, almond, whatnot), sweetener (if needed), some toasted coconut (if desired) and freeze! Yummy!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Dessert that's oh so delicious!

Make up a pot of sticky (sushi) rice. Gently boil the coconut milk with a few tablespoons of agave syrup or evaporated cane juice, pour over the rice. Serve warm rice with slices of fresh mango on top.

This is a Thai dessert and it is truly addictive.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Cut up whatever kind of veggies you like- carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, potato, pea pods, zuchinin, green beans, baby spinach, onions, etc. Put that and a can of coconut milk and 2 TB thai curry paste in a crock pot and cook until it smells good (or simmer on the stove until it smells good).

or- Blend with a handful of chopped dates in the blender and put in the freezer or ice cream maker to make vegan ice cream.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There was that awesome lentil curry recipe that was floating around here several months back. You boil the lentils and add curry paste, brown sugar, a can of coconut milk and whatever veggies you like.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here's a smoothie that I've been drinking every morning. It's yum!

1/2 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup of water
1-2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup of almonds (soaked in water overnight)
1 ripe/very ripe frozen banana
a few ice cubes

Blend the whole thing on high for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yes... I have ideas. My dh comes from a place where coconuts are used in much of the cooking.
http://www.makantime.com/indexrecipes.html Many of the recipes at this website call for meat or fish, but we just replace with tofu or seitan. One of my favorite desserts is gula melaka. On hot days, a chendol is fabulous.

Many of the Nonya desserts contain coconut milk. My MIL gave us alot of recipes for them, but I am just waiting until we go back in December, and then I will eat some in S'pore.

Locally (in Iowa of all places) somebody is making Coconut Mango Lassi... It is good- just replace the yogurt in a lassi recipe with coconut milk- yum.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i've always used coconut milk in curries - i don't have any specific recipe, but who needs a recipe for curry? you throw veggies and whatever in a pan, add curry and other spices, and stir fry it to perfection. i often use orange juice instead of water or oil, it gives more flavour (also, using orange juice instead of water when cooking rice is great) buut if i have coconut milk, even better!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Jamaican Peas and Rice uses coconut milk.
You need:
1 c dried small red beans (called peas in Jamaica)
2c rice
fresh or dried thyme
1 whole habanero, or chopped milder pepper
1 cup chopped onion

Soak beans overnight (or quick soak: put beans and 4 c. water in large pot. Boil 2 minutes, cover and turn off. Let soak 1 hour). Drain and rinse. Put beans and 4 c water in pan. Bring to boil on medium high. Turn down til just boiling. Cook 30 minutes, or until just tender. Add rest of ingredients. Cover. Cook 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. (Don't peek too much, or the liquid will evaporate, and the rice will stick to the bottom.)

You can use any rice. I like basmati. If using short grain brown rice, cook a little longer.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Coconut Rice

Make jasmine rice as you normally would but substitute coconut milk for half of the water. Slice in some fresh ginger before you begin to cook it. When it's done, serve with some more fresh ginger grated on top and chopped cilantro leaves.

Curry - we make curries all the time using coconut milk. You can make any Thai recipe substituting seitan or some soy protein fake meat for the meat.

We make our own curry paste but you can buy it at the grocery store. Then you just add a spoon of it to the coconut milk, add your veggies and meat, and cook.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I take coconut milk and mix with Tahini and soy sauce, maybe a little honey or agave nectar and some red peper flake and serve it over rice sticks and stir fried veggies.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
We use coconut milk in smoothies.

I've also made curries and just substitute the chicken with chickpeas.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Its a great substitute for blended vegetable soups that call for dairy. I like using

onion
carrot
broccoli or asparagus or both
other veggies that lend themselves to blended soups

sautee the onion and cook the other veggies until soft with vegetable broth or just water then blend and add a can of coconut milk. Season and MMmmmm...

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I tried a recipe for a little pie from The Vegan Lunchbox blog that was really good. You buy the Keebler little pie crusts and fill them with a mixture of silken tofu, coconut milk, cornstarch, and honey, then top it with fresh fruit of your choice. The one I ate had blueberries on it. The filling mixture was delicious. I don't remember the exact measurements, but it's pretty easy to just wing it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You should try searching on vegweb.com (awesome vegan cooking site). Also I know that peanut sauce for pasta contains coconut milk many times and that is goood stuff too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papayapetunia
I tried a recipe for a little pie from The Vegan Lunchbox blog that was really good. You buy the Keebler little pie crusts and fill them with a mixture of silken tofu, coconut milk, cornstarch, and honey, then top it with fresh fruit of your choice. The one I ate had blueberries on it. The filling mixture was delicious. I don't remember the exact measurements, but it's pretty easy to just wing it.
Honey on Vegan lunchbox? I don't believe it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, dal is amazingly easy and SO yummy. Rinse 2 cups of red lentils and pick ou the yucky ones. In a large saute pan saute 1 chopped scallion, and a clove of garlic in a tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Season with curry powder, salt, pepper, and a little mustard seed. Add lentils and enough water to just cover. simmer uncovered until lentils are cooked then add the coconut milk and mix. I spoon this over coconut rice and you can add veggies to the dal if you like.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Well, if you're not too health conscious, you can use it in frosting for cookies. It takes very little coco milk and lots of powdered sugar, just mix it until it's the consistency you want. A little richer and better flavor than making it with soy or rice milk.

One time I left some coco milk in the fridge too long and it turned into sour cream. It was sublime, and I could never repeat it. Usually it molds or goes nasty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use it a lot. In smoothies every morning, mostly. Tonight for dinner I am stirfried green vegies, adding some soy sauce, lemon juice and coconut milk. (not a lot, admittedly) and serving it with quinoa.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts