Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is in the service and we are being moved in June. I start classes at the local university in August. I haven't been able to find night classes as I'd hoped. How do I find a good babysitter fast that will be willing to watch my son in the middle of the day? How do I know who to trust? I have one woman in mind but she already has 2 or 3 of her own little ones at home, one that is 5 months...about my son's age. Should I approach her about babysitting???

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
hmmm.... I don't know about approaching your friend about babysitting, if it's not something she already does. Maybe ask her if she knows anyone she would trust and see if she volunteers? I'm very wary of putting other moms on the spot about babysitting, but if you could do it without any pressure, then that might be a good place to start.<br><br>
What about the college you're attending? Do they have a "job board" or something like that where you might find people offering care? Or does the base have a referral service?<br><br>
As far as how you know if you can trust someone.... well, that's just a gut feeling for me and a wee bit of trial and error. I've never used a non-family babysitter, but I've interviewed lots of daycare providers and I can usually get a feeling right away about the place, from the employees and the other kids. Not totally applicable to babysitters, though.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Contact the base's CDC at the base you'll be moving to. Even if you don't plan on utilizing the CDC, they can give you a list of providers who have completed the in-home training and that will give you a place to start. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
You might also want to see whether the University has a "parents" listserv or something like that--ours does, and that's the first place I would try if I needed to find a babysitter.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Check your universities website for a student parent support group.<br>
You could also take out a classified ad for a childcare provider in your home and then interview them over the phone or in person.

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
I know you want a babysitter rather then daycare but usually universities have an on-campus daycare. I have thought about using that so DD would be there the minumum amount of time every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts