Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling a little guilty. When I was pregnant with DS, I cut out all caffeine except for one mocha on Sunday mornings. This was a big deal because I am a dedicated coffee drinker. Now, with this pregnancy, I have a cup (sometimes two) of half decaf, half regular coffee every morning.
: I just couldn't deal without it. I was super tired the first trimester and what with chasing a two year old around all day... well, I just felt like I needed my coffee.

The baby appears to be doing fine. I haven't had any weird cramps or anything, so I'm still drinking my java. How about you? Have you quit drinking caffeine?

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I have cut it way back. Mostly due to nausea though. When it sounds good I'll still have a cup fo decaf.
I don't drink soda and avoid chocolate (mostly due to the sugar though).

I do plan to keep getting my decaf mochas on my SnB night if it sounds good though.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't drink soda either, I have my coffee in the morning and then I just drink water the rest of the day. I pretty much do that when I'm not pregnant, too.

Now, the chocolate, that's another story, lol. Did you see the article a while ago that said babies born to mothers who ate chocolate while pregnant were calmer and cried less? I consider it my duty as a mother to consume chocolate, every day if possible. It's for the baby, you know.

·
Registered
517 Posts
with my first pregnancy, I couldn't drink cofffee for the first 7 months without feeling nauseous..(or at least the first nine weeks, and after that, I just didn't bother trying.

This time round (at least we are trying to become preg...no sure thing yet) I decided to quit before hand, as I would get horrible caffeine headaches the mornings I didn't have a coffee...so I just started using decaf for the ritual of it, and I find the headaches are much better now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
1 cup per day here and maybe a black or green tea after dinner if I'm exhausted, I've never completely quit coffee. C'mon I don't drink, quit smoking and all other vices for the past 10 years of childbearing, I may have a coffee after dinner at a party or dinner out, seeems pretty harmless, right?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I too am still having my cup of half-caf in the morning. I had planned to stop all caffeine, and I did for several weeks while I was nauseous and averse to coffee, but as the nausea subsided I found that I just feel better if I have a small bit of caffeine. And all the research I have seen has shown possible negative associations only at much higher doses.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have felt so guilty this pregnancy! Now, I don't!

I gave up caffeine (except for chocolate, of course!) during my first pregnancy. But this one, I have what averages out to be about 1 coke per day. (Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) I find that I just really feel better after getting a bit of the ol' caffeine in me.
I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
Did you see the article a while ago that said babies born to mothers who ate chocolate while pregnant were calmer and cried less? I consider it my duty as a mother to consume chocolate, every day if possible. It's for the baby, you know.

I saw that too, and, yes, I've been considering it my duty to heed my chocolate urges! :LOL I've cut down to one cup of black tea (aka "blessed elixir of life") in the mornings, though. I'm not a coffee or soda drinker, so that hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I tried to cut it out. Sometimes when I get a headache, the caffeine really helps though. I have a Mtn Dew every few days, and I have a cup of hot chocolate almost every day. When I was dealing with my killer m/s, I found the carbonation really helped, although I was drinking primarily Ginger Ale then.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I mostly didn't drink much caffeine before getting pregnant (maybe a cup or two a week), but I do drink decaf coffee (mochas) about four days a week. So little sounds good these days that if something does, I go for it unless it's totally unreasonable.

The awful part for me has been giving up nutrasweet. That's been just brutal. I loved diet sodas and drank at least two a day. I stopped when we started trying (which was about 20 minutes before I got pregnant :LOL) and have been missing it horribly. I know that it is bad for me as well as the baby, and I ought to be thinking of this as the forever end of nutrasweet, but realistically, I know I'll start on it again after this one weans. I could live without caffeine forever, but I miss my diet root beer, diet caffeine free cola, etc.!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I went half-decaf for about a week, and then coffee became completely uninteresting to me! This just proves that pregnancy does weird things to you.
The same thing happened when I was preg w/DD, and after she was born I got right back into drinking coffee (mostly to stay awake!).

I am drinking more herbal tea now, and sometimes a soda (which I never really drank before).

I read a bunch of research last time, and moderate coffee intake (3 cups or so) is not considered risky.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
With DD I cut it out completely. With DS I didn't and he was high needs. Hmm I wonder???? Anyway, with this one I have cut out most of it. I do still drink my chai tea, some Rootbeer that has it. And if I have a really bad headace, I grab an old fashioned Coke. That has only happened 2 times.
I think moderation is key, as with everything!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Heck no. I have two big cups of black tea in the morning and that's it - about the same amount of caffeine as in one cup of coffee. AFAIK there's no research to show that a cup of coffee a day is harmful. In fact, I remember one study showing that tea drinkers (not coffee or soda drinkers) conceived more easily and had lower rates of miscarriage than non-tea drinkers!

Since I WOHM 4 days a week, have a 29 month old who cosleeps and still sometimes night nurses, and an ever-shrinking bladder that is getting me up more frequently, I don't think I could get through the day without my morning jump-start.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I start most days with a cup of coffee or black tea. The rest of the day I drink water with lemon or lime, and camomile tea with honey. Yum!

My bigger problem is the mountain of chocolate I eat! I would love to cut that out, but I really can't bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
My youngest is 7 1/2 weeks old. With her I drank at least one pepsi a day because it helped so much with my terrible all day sickness.

I was sooo good with my first 2...

I also ate loads of dark chocolate

I have a most layed back easy going baby. As long as she gets her bm when she wants it she is one campy happer

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Glad to see all of you are open to a little caffeine too!
I cut out caffeine for the first half of my pregnancy, now I am onto about a cup of coffee a day. I love it soooo much and it makes my day
!
I was thinking of doing the decaf thing, but decaf is usually chemically treated to get rid of the caffeine, so I decided that the caffeine couldn't be any worse for me than the chemicals. But there is always the organic/water expressed decaf...if you can afford it
:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.