Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has given their weaned child EBM. My son who's 2 self weaned a few days after my 4 week old was born. I have a good supply and figured that I could use some of the excess and mix it in with my 2 year olds cereal in the morning.

I could perhaps hand express some right into his oatmeal bowl? I'm laughing at the visual sight of actually doing this from my husbands perspective.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Em self weaned very quickly, around 2 years old, but I had a good bit of milk still in the freezer. (I was obsessed with this for some reason, lol....had TONS of milk stored away for who knows why...
) She *loved* this milk, and would ask for Noo Noo milk when she wanted some.

I think it's great...go for it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Me too! I've been caught leaning over my son's milk cup hand expressing milk into it. I do this mainly around flu season or if there's a cold or something going around. And it goes into the oatmeal too.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
A few times I gave some to my 4yo when I first started pumping w/ the new baby (when he was about a month or so old). I've been having supply problems though, and not the oversupply problems I used to have. So now everything I pump goes right to the baby. But ds1 still asks for it sometimes and tells me it's the yummiest of all milks (he drinks cow's, goat's, soy, rice, etc). It's much better for them than cow's for them, not matter how old they are. It's kind of nasty to drink an animal's milk if you really think about it. Which is why I don't. Drink milk that is. Well, that and I'm allergic. LOL!

·
Registered
542 Posts
My 8yr old and 4 yr old were sooo curious about breastmilk when the baby was born, so I gave each of them a cup of it. My 4-yr old thought it was spoiled since it was warm, LOL!! My 8-yr old very sheepishly admitted that he liked it

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have. I still do if I happen to pump it. I give it to my 3 yr old. I feel bad that she stopped bfing so young (2yrs).

have you guys read FRESH MILK? it is a enjoyable, funny and insightful book. There are bm recipes in there as well. I believe someone made ice cream for fun.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Me too! DD weaned too early IMO so when DS was born I had to pump I had way too much milk for him. I usually made it chocolate for her since she wouldn't drink it plain. It was so sweet that I just added like 3 drops of choc syrup and she'd drink it all down. It totally helped with her constipation BTW

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I just wanted to comment that I am SO glad to hear this. I don't plan on giving my DS any sort of milk until he is at least 2 yo. If he self weans or wants it in a cup, then I was going to have a supply in the freezer / fridge just for him.

·
Registered
620 Posts
our experience was totally different-- Gave some to DS in a sippy last week and he Freaked out! He said, no milk no milk! Put it back in the fridge, tried a few hours later to no avail. had to dump it, which sucks.
It was really just an experiment. I was hoping that if he liked it he could fall asleep at my mom's when I work or attend classes late (don't get home till 9 or 10). Oh well! If you know how to make this work, let me know.

Edited to add: Sorry, I realized the OP said "weaned kids" and mine isn't. But he only nurses at bedtime for 5-15 minutes each night. Sometimes all he wants is to sniff/nuzzle me and say night night nipples.

·
Registered
884 Posts
dd got really sick with a terrible flu when ds was 8 months old. she'd been weaned for over a year, and when i offerred her some EBM in a cup, she said "ewwww", but when she was sick, i just put it in a smoothie and she had no idea it was in there (stick a banana in there and no one is the wiser
) and she drank it all down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmalinesMom
Em self weaned very quickly, around 2 years old, but I had a good bit of milk still in the freezer. (I was obsessed with this for some reason, lol....had TONS of milk stored away for who knows why...
)

ha ha. i was also obsessed with having TONS of EBM in the freezer with my first. my completely insane mama thought was what would happen to dd if i were hit by a car?? i also made all my nursing friends PROMISE to nurse her if i died.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts