Mothering Forum banner

Have you ever had to tell your children their beloved pet is a "poor fit" for your family?

25K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  phatchristy 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I'm not a dog expert, but this doesn't seem cut and dried to me. I'd get a second opinion if you think it will be really emotionally damaging for your kids.
yeah - also not a dog expert - but yawning, turning the head to the side and even a few air snaps does not mean the dog will bite. Yes, they are doggy warnings - but just that - warnings. A snap is almost a good thing, the dog is able to tell you "get out of my face" without biting.

Thank you for the update.

If you do decide to keep the dog, may I suggest you put the dog somewhere safe when there are other kids in the house?

While my kids (who are quite a bit older than yours) have finally gotten the message of "we do not get in dogs faces" - their friends are clueless.

A few months ago I caught a 12 year old (who loves the dog, btw) straddling him. UM, not OK!

For my sanity, and the safety of both child-visitors and dog, I put him in my room when need be.

Just a tip!

Kathy

I get rehoming one dog. Life happens.

I also get trying again, and it still not working......

But after that there is no way I would get another dog.

I think repeatedly getting rid of pets is a horrible thing to do to children. Not only are giving them something to love and then taking it awy from them, but you are teaching them pets are disposable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.