Mothering Forum banner

Have you ever had to tell your children their beloved pet is a "poor fit" for your family?

25K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  phatchristy 
We had to do it when my son was very young and it tore my heart out. It was separation anxiety too and it was impossible for us to turn it around. We almost had to do it this time for another reason, but thankfully things turned around.

Here are some ideas that might help:

1. Think of it as "not the right match" rather than a "poor fit." It is essentially the same thing, but "poor fit" would make me think *I* wasn't trying hard enough.

I have heard so many stories of a dog not doing well in one family, only to move to a different situation and shine. It is a *match* problem many times.

You have tried a lot and if it is pushing your family's sanity limits, it is probably better for the dog to be rehomed.

There are lots of dogs that would be a better fit for you.

2. Try to stay positive for the kids. Good things: we have learned sooooo much more about dogs than we could ever know. We will find a home where the dog can thrive.

3. If you intend to get a dog in the future, talk to them about your plan for that. For example, I'm callling and researching breeders and need your help. We'll volunteer in the shelter and get more training. Etc, etc.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.