Mothering Forum banner

Have you ever had to tell your children their beloved pet is a "poor fit" for your family?

25K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  phatchristy 
We rehomed a puppy that was a very bad fit for us. I told dd the truth and why it would be kinder for the dog to find a new family. She totally understood, although she was sad to say good-bye. We have many pets though and did get another puppy eventually.
Its hard to give them up, but also hard ot keep an animal that really and truely does not fit in. It's not like you are not trying to make it work

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathe View Post

Y'all must be tired of the back-and-forthing by now . . . I am getting quite fatigued myself!

We'll just keep watching this process and see what unfolds!
Naw, its kind of interesting to read. This is how I decide major stuff too. I go back and and forth until it feels at least 98% right.

Are you maybe babying your dog too much with treats and clickers and inadvertently rewarding her for bad behaviour?
Let it be known I know NOTHING about clicker training, (but I do have a clicker
)

I too have an older pup who is a fear-biter, or would be if I wasn't able to prevent the bites. I try to be very firm and consistent. I never distract her with treats cause I almost never have treats.
In the house, she behaves or is banished.
On walks she does not go off leash unless she is calm and responsive. If she gets wound up (and she does) she goes back on the leash. I keep her attention much like I would if I were riding a spooky horse, keep doing exercises to keep thier attention on you.
We march, sit, back, down, cuddle, stand...just little exercises. If she growls at someone or something she gets a no and a sharp pop with the leash (a tug, not a hit).
We have been at this for 7 months and she is improving now in leaps and bounds. In the beginning I thought we'd never get to this point.
Oh and I have strangers give her treats on occasion, but only adult dog owners.
I have 2 other dogs to keep her company at home, and thankfully she adores her crate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post

I guess that is a "match problem", in that if you are not willing to protect your dog from being harassed, you should not have a dog.

Are your kids allowed to, or expected to harass say, strangers on the street? Their frail great grandparent? Their non-frail grandparent or aunt? The maid?

You?

No? Then why the dog.
the point of having a dog is to be harrased by the kids. My dogs are my kids(kid actually) best friends. The children-I used to run a daycare- are not to be deliberately mean or hurtful to the dogs, but they can do anything else. Its a dog, they learn thier place in this family pretty quickly

Can you rehome Dog yourself, or find another rescue organization?

I would be leery of an organization that does not allow visitors. Rescues are not always what they seem, just because someone calls themselves a rescue, does not mean they are one. Sometimes they are just hoarders and don't even care for the animals. I've seen some scary pictures with scarier stories attached to them about 'rescues'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.