Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh's best friend and his wife shaved their baby's head. She is only 4 months old and had beautiful baby hair!! They said they shaved it so it would grow in thicker. Have any of you ever heard of something like this? I think it is insane!!
Amy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes I have heard of this before. Or rather, I've heard that shaving off hair leads it to grow in thicker. I don't actually know anyone who has done this to their infant. Meh, certainly not something I would do.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I worked with a woman who adopted a baby from Guatemala. When she got here, about 4-6 months old, her head was shaved. The woman told me they shave the girls heads in Guat. to give them nice thick hair.

One of my old bf's moms shaved her daugthers head when she was little so it would be thicker.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I shaved DS's head... well, buzzed it, because it is sooooo hot and his hair was soooo long and thick... but to shave a girls head? to make it grow in faster? I agree with PP - just wait and it'll happen on its own.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Yes. We adopted DD from Guatemala, we visited her at 3 months old and were told if we did not want her head to be shaved we needed to tell the foster mom directly so. It is pretty common to do there. Supposedly it comes in thicker and also becomes a more manageable texture and not so slippery smooth. I will say that right now DD, 10 months, has hair down to her shoulder blades and it is so slippery that I often wonder how it would have come in had it been shaved. I don't think the reasons would benefit a typical US child though since it has to do with the texture of the hair.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altair
any chance they did it for cultural reasons?
Nope. The baby's grandma is a beautician and she was the one who told them to do it.

I really don't understand why they did it. This baby is half hispanic and already had BEAUTIFUL thick hair.

Amy

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laniemel
It's one thing to do it because it's a cultural thing where you're from, but to do it just for vanity's sake is ignorant.
agreed. and dh will tell you I shave his head 1/8 inch away from bald every other week and it's doing NADA to thicken things up. much as he wishes it might

·
Registered
602 Posts
A mama I know whose family is Hispanic shaved her dd's head when she was about 6 or 8 months old- she had long beautiful curls before. The baby rocked that buzz cut for a long time, and mom finally started letting her hair grow out after about 6 months. She has those same long curls again. I asked her mom a few months ago if she was going to shave it again, and she said no, but she wants to every day because it was so much easier to care for!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Too funny. It is such a pain to care for DD's hair. Its kinda curly and really thick and goes wherever. I'm waiting for it to get long enough I can put back because barrettes just aren't staying in.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
It's done a lot in SE Asia. I asked a Thai friend about it and he said that it's because they want the "birth hair" gone. I said what about the body hair then? (I was thinking of the languno) He had no clue what I was talking about!

And in India they definitely do. I have an Indian friend here whose DD was born same time as mine, and was shocked to show up to church one Sunday and see her with no hair!

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laniemel
It's one thing to do it because it's a cultural thing where you're from, but to do it just for vanity's sake is ignorant.
But what if the reason that culture does it is for vanity's sake?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I can see how it would make sense: when you shave, you slice the ends of the hairs off and it makes them look thicker (want proof? Look at a shaven leg with a few days growth.)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My dh is Greek and many of the 1st generation say that back in Greece they always shaved babies hair all off so it would come in thicker. My kids never had enough hair to shave so I didn't have to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.