Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't notice that kind of thing so much. I'm not obese or anything, but I could stand to lose about 10-15 pounds (I have a flabby tummy post-kids). Nothing I've done seems to help it...diet, exercise, nothing. I hate it, but I try to take comfort in the fact that I haven't gained weight in about 4 years. So I must be doing something right.

What I have noticed is that we are *much* healthier. We rarely get sick, and when we do, it's not as severe and we get over it a lot faster. DH was the last one to still have the prolonged illnesses. That has finally gotten better since I finally got him off of soda (he now drinks a few "natural" sodas a week which I know isn't good, but at least they don't have HFCS, and he's not drinking them like water every day!).

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
my dh found that when we really started eating almost all whole, organic foods, he would be full much longer (he does physical work and this was great for him)... i didn't lose weight, but i also haven't gained any. i used to not eat much food and it was all unhealthy. now, i eat "whatever i want" (meaning i don't think about things that i used to-like i would never have eaten butter before b/c it's "fatty" but now i'll eat as much as i want)

like pp, we have been much healthier in general and have much better immune systems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I noticed a HUGE change in my body and my health when I went vegan and started eating more fruits, veggies, and grains. I no longer have acne, I rarely get a cold, and I feel lighter. I also notice that my body is quicker to adjust to running and other excercise it seems to take me less time to get back into shape than before. I sleep better at night than I used to. I feel great even though I run around after a 2 year old all day!

Kari
www.veganparenting.com

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I just feel better, I usually have tons of energy, even throughout this pregnancy I have felt pretty great most of the time with not a lot of complaints.

My skin is better, not dry or oily (it wasn't very bad before but is definitely better). When I eat better my mood is better as well. We don't get sick very often, but when we do we always are able to recoup quicker and are less sick. Last year there was a horrible stomach flu that went around, that I unfortunately caught. Everyone else I knew who got this bug ended up in the hospital or at least had to get an iv for dehydration- although it wasn't pleasant for me I made it through relatively unscathed.

I maintain my weight, but more important than the number is just that I am healthy. There are plenty of unhealthy skinny people out there as well. Also plenty of overweight people I know that eat healthy.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes! Since switching to all whole foods and then eliminating dairy (I was already vegetarian) I have lost all my baby/nursing (one of the mamas who gained weight while nursing) and then some. More important to me are the following -

More energy
Less irritability
Better sleep patterns

Clearer skin
Shinier, more manageable hair
No body odor (seriously!)
Better smelling breath

Frequent and easy/comfortable elimination
No more aches and pains, bloating, constipation, headaches
No more menstrual cramps

Virtually no illnesses

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I eat a "traditional foods" type diet. My weight isn't much different than before (not overweight, not underweight, although I'm still working on about 10 lbs I'd like to shed from this last pregnancy), but one interesting thing I noticed about 6 months after I started eating this way is that my skin doesn't sunburn nearly as easily and if it does get a little too red it heals very quickly and rarely peels. Previously, I ate a rather low-fat diet, then transitioned to organic, whole-foods veggie, not as low in fat as before but very little saturated fat. When I switched to a more traditional foods approach and added back in very high quality saturated fats and omega-3s (from pasture-raised animal sources, coconut oil, cod liver oil), I noticed the change in susceptibility to sunburn. It wasn't a huge problem before, but I would burn rather badly if I stayed in the sun for too long, it would take many days to heal and stop hurting and I'd peel like a snake. Now, sometimes I'll still burn a little in the early spring if I stay out in the sun for many hours, but even then it is usually healed and tan by the next day and if it peels it's only a little bit. (BTW, I think sun exposure is very important for health, and that the routine use of sunscreen is damaging in many ways. I only use "natural" sunscreens if we'll be out in the sun for a long time, and usually only in the early spring when we're pale from winter. After we have a tan, I don't put it on myself or my kids unless we'll be many hours in the direct sun. The kids don't burn easily, either. We all have rather light skin when it's not tanned.)

Also, my blood sugar is much more stable now, I used to have terrible afternoon crashes and would get really crabby with dizziness and nausea if I went too long without eating (as in, completely preoccupied, I-must-eat-now-don't-look-at-me-get-out-of-my-way hungry).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I noticed my skin getting clearer and brighter. Its hard to explain. I have medium brown skin color and I notice more of a gold undertone and overall sheen to my skin (not oil though). Its just brighter all over and less acne on my face. I think its from the more green matter I eat (wheat grass and veggies) and coconut oil.

I also notice weight loss, less digiestive issues, more energy and better sleep.

ETA: Sage mentioned no BO. I noticed that too, even after a heavy workout. I **** sweat like a pig though.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Well we have always eaten a traditional diet. We are all healthy, but have a very long history of family health with no major medical issues. Some people ARE just healthier than others, but you don't risk all the junky stuff that comes along from eating poor diet. I notice a big difference when I eat to much junk in a day though for sure.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
We've changed a lot. We eat a 90% plant-based diet with and only consume animal products and grains 2 times per week.

I lost about 15 pounds in 2 months, our skin looks GREAT, our taste buds work properly now, and our digestive systems are at ease. We were hoping for more energy, but I think that having a busy life and taking care of 2 kids is what's draining us, not poor food choices.

We just feel better overall. Our attitudes have improved too. DH and I both work at home and we are all together 24/7. It was very easy for us all to get mad at each other over stupid things. We all tolerate each other better now, probably because we feel so great.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlpolzin View Post
We've changed a lot. We eat a 90% plant-based diet with and only consume animal products and grains 2 times per week.
Do you eat a (mostly, except for the animal products) raw foods diet? I am interested in what the 90% plant-based diet consists of.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by barose View Post
Do you eat a (mostly, except for the animal products) raw foods diet? I am interested in what the 90% plant-based diet consists of.

It's about 1/2 raw and 1/2 cooked. We eat a lot of salads & soups with beans...fruit smoothies...lots of nuts. Our goal is 2lbs of raw leafy greens every day. Things got a lot more interesting when I bought a food processor so I like to blend nuts and what not and pour it on steamed kale. I was hesitant to follow this diet at first, but it's actually very diverse and simple.

The book that helped get me started was Disease-Proof Your Child. Then I read Eat to Live by the same author which has more grown up recipes. Eat to Live also discusses this "plant-based" diet in a lot of detail.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlpolzin View Post
It's about 1/2 raw and 1/2 cooked. We eat a lot of salads & soups with beans...fruit smoothies...lots of nuts. Our goal is 2lbs of raw leafy greens every day. Things got a lot more interesting when I bought a food processor so I like to blend nuts and what not and pour it on steamed kale. I was hesitant to follow this diet at first, but it's actually very diverse and simple.

The book that helped get me started was Disease-Proof Your Child. Then I read Eat to Live by the same author which has more grown up recipes. Eat to Live also discusses this "plant-based" diet in a lot of detail.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I eat a traditional foods diet. For me it is mostly meats, produce, fermented beverages (kombucha) and coconut products. (Plus cod liver oil.) I am almost 27 and someone thought I was yonger than my 21 year old brother last week. I have lost 30 pounds and I am at a good weight now. (Much of the 30 pounds I lost was from a pregnancy, followed by an MC, followed by a chronic illness). I have color in my face and energy because I am no longer anemic and depleated.
I was a strict, produce based, much raw, very low-fat veg before switching a year ago. I still eat a lot of vegs, but adding the quality meats and fats made all the differnece.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We eat almost completely organic, whole foods with a little chicken and fish thrown in. I never get acne and when i get sick it is for a short period of time. Our ten month old has only been sick twice and both were colds, relatively painless to get over. I lost about 50 lbs. but that also had to do with breastfeeding. I also get over my gallbladder issues naturally (w/o surgery).
I do find though that I thik about food a lot more. Rathar than mindless eating, I think about what I am going to eat next and what flavors I want to combine and stuff. I don't really like that part about eating healthy. I do love to eat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.