Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
the original flavor tastes and feels like regular (pasteurized) milk without giving me the postnasal drip. i'm flirting with the idea of using it for yogurt or kefir - it's much cheaper (per oz) than canned coconut milk and has a much thinner consistency. i'm not enamored with the sweetener in it though - fermenting should gobble that up though.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Yumm!! I'll try that for a smoothie base for DS.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluets View Post
the original flavor tastes and feels like regular (pasteurized) milk without giving me the postnasal drip. i'm flirting with the idea of using it for yogurt or kefir - it's much cheaper (per oz) than canned coconut milk and has a much thinner consistency. i'm not enamored with the sweetener in it though - fermenting should gobble that up though.
Good idea! Now I need to get some of that Gipro non-dairy yogurt starter. . .

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
http://www.purelydecadent.com/produc..._beverage.html I just saw it in the store.
It has guar gum and carageenan so it's no good for either of my kids. I have to stick to the canned stuff. Though I guess I could drink it, but why bother when they can't.

I'm so negative. This must stop.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My oldest can have it. I would love to get him off of rice drink. I wish that my youngest and I could have coconut.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
It's yummy. It's my junkfood, I add the vanilla to my coffee,

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I got some and it's really good. It's doesn't have a strong coconut flavor, so you could easily use it in savory recipes. It doesn't have much protein, of course, but it's got more fat which is great if your lo's can tolerate it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
now, the turtlemountain coconut milk ice cream... no guar gum there (at least i don't think it is in the vanilla or chocolate)... it's a quick treat when i'm too lazy for making ice cream. stay away from the cookie dough flavor - lots of extra ingredients (for the GF cookie dough, presumably).

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Just got some - it's very good - but DS still refuses to drink it. I think I'll try using it to dilute his kefir tomorrow - he ran out today!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the turtle mountain ice cream does have guar gum in it, IIRC. but they have a disclaimer on the carton about it being some teeny tiny amount just for processing to preserve creaminess (not saying it would be okay, kathy, but just putting that out there).

the ice cream is sweetened with agave, of which i'm not a fan - both flavor and nutrition-wise. i'm surprised the milk is sweetened with sugar. (although, there is an unsweetened variety...)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
What is the cost like compared to other milk subs? WE don't have it around here.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by menomena View Post
the turtle mountain ice cream does have guar gum in it, IIRC. but they have a disclaimer on the carton about it being some teeny tiny amount just for processing to preserve creaminess (not saying it would be okay, kathy, but just putting that out there).

the ice cream is sweetened with agave, of which i'm not a fan - both flavor and nutrition-wise. i'm surprised the milk is sweetened with sugar. (although, there is an unsweetened variety...)
The Purely Decadent ice cream has guar gum in it, and DS can't do it (I don't know how much they use in theirs). I like that it's agave because DS and DD2 can both have it (DS can't have cane sugar). Of course, since he can't have guar gum, I guess it doesn't matter what it's sweetened with!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
It's some good stuff! They also make yogurt in a ton of flavors, and ice cream...both of which are fantastic!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
What is the cost like compared to other milk subs? WE don't have it around here.
$3.99 for a half gallon here, which makes it a lot cheaper than my hemp milk.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Wow, that is way cheaper. I will have to check for that the next time I get to go to St. Louis.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Wow, that is way cheaper. I will have to check for that the next time I get to go to St. Louis.
I was so excited to find it at my local grocery store in the natural food section. I didn't even have to go to Whole Foods!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I wish CP! My grocery stores have rice milk(rice dream only) and soy milk! The hfs has hemp, oat, almond and soy milk but the prices are literally 2x what they are anywhere else! So, I stock up when in St. Louis. We don't do rice dream obviously and generally avoid soy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
It's some good stuff! They also make yogurt in a ton of flavors, and ice cream...both of which are fantastic!
:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts