Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're watching a friend's dog this weekend at our house. (We volunteered to while they were out of town.) Their dog gets along fine with our dog. The problem is they have completely different rules for their dog (very lenient) than we have for ours (we have set boundaries). My biggest problem is that they let their dog on the furniture and we do not. They also let their dog eat scraps/beg and we definitely don't allow that.

We have a huge fenced-in backyard and their dog loves to be outside. But how do I keep him within our limits inside? They claim he does listen when told to get "off", etc. Suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It takes a dog about 3.4 seconds to figure out rules if they're properly communicated. If you come in a room and the dog is on the couch and you say, "Oh, man, look at that, the dog's on the couch, geez, they are so lenient! Honey, get off, silly dog, come on, baby," the dog will snuggle in deeper. If you walk in that same room and yell "AHHHHH! GET THE FREAK OFF THE COUCH!" the dog will be off in a nanosecond and will think twice about getting back on. Same thing with begging.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
What Joanna said....only I never yell "get the freak of the couch" it's usually more, ummm, animated

I board dogs in my house so I see LOTS of dogs of different backgrounds and within 4 hours, they know the rules here--they even figure out there is a dog couch and a human couch and that just cause you see a cat on the human couch....this does NOT make it dog friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the suggestions-as soon as the dog's "parents" left, what did he do? Jumped on the couch! I very loudly and firmly said, "OFF!" and off he went. Hasn't jumped up there since. He definitely knows what he can and can not do at this house now.

My dog is loving the company, my DH and I are happy, and the other dog is happy. Now that the ground rules have been set, it should be a good weekend. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts