Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 children and am now pregnant with my 5th. I have had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries with all of them. I want to have my 5th one at home but I am having a hard time finding a midwife for a homebirth. Any suggestions??

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseAndMommy
I have 4 children and am now pregnant with my 5th. I have had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries with all of them. I want to have my 5th one at home but I am having a hard time finding a midwife for a homebirth. Any suggestions??
I suggest you post in the New York Finding your tribe section. Lots of ladies would know and pass along info.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
: and if that doesn't get a response, PM me, cuz a lady on another forum I am on is 37 weeks and planning her first hb, in western NY state...The mw are underground, I think, but they are out there!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well... all I can offer is support, as a homebirthing mama in Syracuse who had the same problem. Luckily, I found the licensed midwives in Ithaca are willing to come to our area.

Have you tried calling the licensed midwife in Rochester to see if she comes out to Buffalo? If I remember correctly from talking to her about whether she comes out our way, she actually lives on the west side of Rochester.

Two years ago when we were planning our first homebirth, I was able to find a licensed homebirth midwife in Buffalo just by googling... she had a website and an established practice. Unfortunately, I can't find her anymore... Did she leave your area?

Good luck... and keep digging!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done sooooo many searchs for hb mw in the Buffalo area my head has been spinning! I havent looked in the Rochester area yet. I had looked into hb a bit when I had my 4th but that was a few years ago. Now it seems they have all disappeared!! Thanks for your support! If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had checked into HB with DD #2 when we lived in WNY a few years ago and there was a MW in Buffalo at that time...a friend did not have a great experience with her though, we ended up going the hospital MW route. Have you thought about checking in Canada? I'm not sure of the legal issues, but there is an amish community in Southern Ontario and bound to be a lay midwife or two. Good Luck! -Lee Ann

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i had a homebirth in buffalo four years ago.

i am "up" on what is happening there if you want to PM me.

the hb mw from rochester that used to go to buffalo moved to NYC. the other mw who serves that area livesi n springwater and so doesn't go to buffalo.

·
Registered
509 Posts
we are just north of ithaca- lots of choices here! hope you find someone!

megny- who are you using?

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Also, how close are you to the Ontario border? if you are close to Niagra Falls, you can see if the midwives up that way are willing to cross.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternalw
megny- who are you using?
We're going with Kate this time around... went with Linda last time. Both great midwives, IMO.

Who'd did you see?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a wonderful hb mw in 2000 and this past year (3/05) in buffalo. I believe that, as of 2005, she maintained an office in buffalo (well, i know so, since I was there!), but traveled from another area. from what i understand, the other primary hb mw in buffalo "retired" (in quotes because from what i heard she is a very busy lady).

Definitely look in the Roch. area.

honeybeedreams, i notice that you mention you are "up" on things here? are you involved in advocacy, etc., in the buffalo area? I am very much interested, and would love to help out. I planned to be involved in OFOM in Ohio before I moved, but we moved too quickly!

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh, and i just want to add...calling in buffalo to the standard mws listed, for example, in the yellow pages is a waste. and asking ob's about midwives of any flavor? the one office i called had a receptionist who didn't even know what one was!!!! it is extremely backwards here, medically speaking. we even talked about traveling back to ohio for the birth.

finally, as a note specific to our area: if you find an hb mw, you may seriously want to ask her about whether she can do baby checkups for at least the first three months after delivery. i found, through unforunate experience, that having an hb and immediately following up with "standard" pediatric care results in a much more invasive and possibly hostile reaction from pediatric staff. do your pediatric homework, if you go that route!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i don't live in buffalo anymore.

and no i'm not involved in that kind of advocay. when elieen was in practice she had trouble having enough clients to pay her mortgage. there just isn't a big call for homebirth in buffalo.

course, if you are wanting ahomebirth, that seems like a huge calling!

pat, who came from rochester is now in NYC. she lost her MD backup in rochester and couldn't find another. they called her from NYC and told her to come now we have a doctor here who will back you up and so she went. the only free standing birth center in rochester closed too.

it's a combination of insurance issues and attitudes i'm afraid.

oh and you wouldn't call a formula company to find a LLL meeting would ya, OBs have nothing to do with HB midwives, they don't exist or shouldn't as far as OBs are concerned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams
oh and you wouldn't call a formula company to find a LLL meeting would ya, OBs have nothing to do with HB midwives, they don't exist or shouldn't as far as OBs are concerned.
should have been more clear on this: I called ob offices here early on for my first birth to see whether they offered CNM services in their offices and for any possible hospital birth. so, no, it wasn't like calling a formula co for a LLL meeting! we were checking all of our options, since I was not sure what the climate was like. I had had friends have very positive, midwife-attended hospital-based birth center water births in Ohio, and I wanted to see if that was available here. (they weren't!)

when did pat go?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcchirib

when did pat go?
buffalo is in the dark ages really!

pat went not to long ago. 2 months maybe? she lost her license last fall.

she was my midwife in rochester. now i have meg. heaven help us if meg retires.

(there are lay midwives around, and at least 2 women studying in nursing school right now)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams
buffalo is in the dark ages really!

pat went not to long ago. 2 months maybe? she lost her license last fall.

she was my midwife in rochester. now i have meg. heaven help us if meg retires.

(there are lay midwives around, and at least 2 women studying in nursing school right now)
oh I am sooooo sorry to hear about that!

I'm glad you have someone up there now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts