Mothering Forum banner

(See explanation below) What option would you choose for Baby #2?

• Adoption

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Egg Donation

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Do not have any more children

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Try for another child - "leave it up to a higher power"

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Try for a girl using Shettles method, etc

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Embryo selection procedure

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other, please elaborate

Votes: 2 7.7%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Well I can't make your decision for you but I will tell you about my situation. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder that is spread dominantly. That means each of my children have a 50% chance of getting it. It's manifestations can be so little that you don't know you have it or so much that you can be wheelchair bound and have other serious health problems. I have a moderate to bad case of it and have done well because I have been managed properly medically speaking. That being said I have had many problems, am in pain daily, and will almost surely end up in a wheelchair at some point in the not so distant future. I also chose to have children. I feel that if I have a child that has this, I will get that child the proper medical care and will be able to teach my child that a disability doesn't have to put a damper on your life. We are even TTC sooner than we planned because we want two children and I want to have another one while I am still doing good.

The biggest difference is that what I have has no neurological manifestations. That is a big difference when you are thinking about whether someone will be able to function and have a somewhat normal life. I answered that I would use the shettles method to try to have a girl. That is more than likely what I would do. You have to do what will leave you with a clear conscience. If you would not be able to handle have another affected child, don't do anything that will leave you at risk for having one.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.