1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...<br><br>
Here's what's going on with my girl-cat Trixie (she's about 1 yr old).<br><br>
She's lost her mind.<br><br>
There is something about loud, higher-pitched noises that bothers her...or doesn't bother her maybe, but affects her in some way.<br><br>
For the longest time, she has tried to answer the phones when they ring...cell phone, house phone...if the phone rings, she runs to it and stares at it until one of us answers it. I thought it was sort of amusing.<br><br>
About a month ago, I noticed that she was doing something else...like if I was laying in bed and she was laying at the foot of the bed or in the closet or something and I called out loudly to one of the kids, she'd run and jump up in the bed, like she was responding to me calling Sara...again, thought it was funny.<br><br>
Well, last night, Sara was sitting in the living room and called out loudly to Jake. Trixie jumped up in her lap and looked at her in the face. Sara called out to Jake again, not thinking too much of Trix. Well, the second time she called out, Trixie attacked her face, biting her just below the eye!<br><br>
I didn't see it happen, but Sara came and showed me the mark right away. We really couldn't figure out what was going on with the cat and were kind of perplexed, but it all happened so fast that what were we going to do now, right?<br><br>
So, this afternoon, I'm laying down (and Trixie is sleeping on a pillow) when Tony comes home. He comes and sits on the bed to talk to me, and Sara comes into the room a few minutes later. Tony and Sara start to wrestling, and he begins tickling her so that she is squealing loudly and laughing on the bed, right next to Trixie.<br><br>
Suddenly, Trixie whips around and bites her right on the face again...this time the other eye!<br><br>
Sara covered her face and I whacked the cat off the bed.<br><br>
Again, it is just mystifying what is going on with this cat. She has always been playful, but she has NEVER been aggressive like this before. Most of the time, she is loving and sweet and cuddly...and I mean, she's Sara's cat, through and through, so I don't think it's an animosity or jealousy thing...<br><br>
I just don't know what to do about this...and I'm especially worried because well, we all know that babies are pretty noisy and squally...and I'm telling you, it will only take one time for her to bite the baby, and Tony will put her right out of the house.<br><br>
So, any ideas on what's up with my cat?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It sounds like she doesn't like high-pitched noises. My DH's old cat Marvel used to get upset if anyone or anything would make loud noises. She would come up to you and meow at you until the noised stopped, and sometimes she would nibble at your hands. But she did not bite at the face like what you are describing, and she did not dare go near my son when he was an infant crying (I did have someone else's cat attack my legs whenever my son was crying. Scared the heck out of me!).<br><br>
For now I would make sure to not leave the cat alone with you kids. Next, have her checked out by the vet to rule out any health problems, and get his or her opinion on the situation. Depending on your resources, I would hire an animal behaviorist to come to the home and see if he or she has any solutions.<br><br>
If the situation does not get better despite your best efforts, you may have to consider rehoming her (which will be hard). Cat bites to the face are serious IMHO.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
So this is a ecent thing? She has not always responded like this?<br><br>
Then I would think this was a medical issue. Ear infection perhaps? Can you vet her?<br><br>
Do you regularly clean her ears?<br><br>
Sometimes ear mites can cause infection in the inner ear and affect hearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts