Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having intermittent contractions today. Only like 4 or, 5 but they are freaking me out. I vaccumed an area rug in my living room this morning, and pushing around the vaccum cleaner was apparently too much for me. (sigh) trying to think relaxing thoughts......

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Drink plenty of water and lay down! Do they hurt? Or are they braxton hicks?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Don't worry about it, it can be pretty normal at this stage.
Are you drinking enough water?

Have two full glasses and then lay down or take a bath for 20 minutes. See if they change (slow down) if they do, no worries.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Sounds like a good reason not to vacuum, to me!

Seriously though... I would just drink water and lay down when it happens, as others have mentioned. If they start getting more frequent or regular, call your care provider. And I say this as one who has had a 29 weeker preemie and is paranoid about preterm labor for myself.
If it's just 4 or 5 in an entire day, it doesn't sound like labor yet.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've had three or four contractions over the last 24hrs, too. I overdid it with the cleaning. You and I are in the same boat, mama! Put your feet up and relax

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
I'm 26.5 weeks and I'm having TONS of contractions
. With my first pg they started at 28 weeks; this time they came earlier. Just 2 days ago I had pretty painful ones the whole evening

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get them all day. This morning I had about 8 in one hour. Half of which I was laying in bed during. So for me it does not matter what I am doing I get them anyway. They have been going on for 2+ months. Today I decided to say "I'm practicing" instead of "I'm having another *&$#ing contraction" Sounds much better! I also visiualize that my uterus is at the gym working out during them which will create a much more efficient and faster birth. With all this "practicing" I'm going to push this baby out quick! Atleast that's my hope!

My MW did tell me yesterday not to worry about them..unless they are regular (every whatever minutes apart), seem to get stronger and stronger, or if I start cramping and have any bloody show.

This morning was scary because I had so many in an hour then they stopped being regular. I tend to get them in clusters anyway. But yes....it totally can be a little scary and uncomfortable. Do your best to ignore them (like you will need to in early labor) but still pay attention to if they are regular. Easier said then done though!

Keep practicing ladies! It's all for the greater good!!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My contractions have stopped for now, thank goodness.
I had already followed the protocol of empty bladder, drink 3 glasses of water, lay down, check blood sugar and relax when I posted. The trouble is since I am carrying twins, and have GD I am considered high risk. I was not only contracting I was feeling nauseous as well.
With my DD I had braxton-hicks contractions all over the place and never worried. I had prodromal labor for weeks and slowly dilated 4cm with hardly any contractions, no bloody show, and no breaking of my waters. Actually that's not true, I had a leaky sack that went undetected during the heat wave. Since I had no other outward signs of cervical change the little fluid I was leaking just mixed with all the sweat, and I never reported fluid loss so nobody knew until I delivered. Anyway, the point is I had a largely silent yet unproductive labor which was augmented at 40.5 weeks (due to the GD). I talked through most of my labor and only got uncomfortable at 8cm. I am not complaining, but as soon as I felt those contractions despite doing all the typical stuff, all I could think of was uh-oh, 27 weeks is too early for these babies! If I have more than 5 contractions in an hour they want me in for monitoring. ANY sign of preterm labor will be aggressively treated. Moms with a history of preterm labor know what I am talking about. I am really concerned about how I am reacting to simple everyday tasks. I spend most of my time lying down or sitting in a chair. I do almost no housework, I only go upstairs once a day to shower, I don't even shop alone anymore because I always have to go sit down before the cart is full. My next stop is going to be bedrest, and I will go mad on full bedrest for 12 weeks!
:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mamajody~
Wow! I am so glad that you were able to get the contractions to stop. Keeping yourself comfortable and those babies in longer is the most important thing. I agree with boscopup...sound like a good excuse to not vacuum!
Seriously, though, I know it is so hard to just sit around! Lately I have been trying to look at my rest periods as a way for my body to rest before the babies come...saving energy for what is to come. I hope the remainder of your pregnancy goes smoothly. Keep us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.