Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a working mother and my son is just one year old. He is at the day care for about 8 hours every day. I understand that I should start his toilet training now. But we spend so little time together that I cannot find any way to do this. I would like if anyone could help me out with some ideas.

·
Registered
134 Posts
one is pretty early to start potty training. Why not wait till next summer when he can run around outside and nudie so that he realises what's happening when it's happening. Then encourage to sit on potty - I'm sure even if this was just at weekends he'd start to get the message and the rest would follow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Agree it is very early for traditional potty training especially for a boy! Babies generally can't control the muscles to determine when they urinate until I think it is 18 months? (Check any good basic development book for this fact, I read it in the Sears' Baby Book).

I am a full-time working mom too. At around 18 months my son was interested in sitting on the potty so 1st thing in the morning we'd sit him on it and read a book and see if he would go just to introduce the idea. Same thing at night right before bed. Sometimes we got lucky and caught a pee-pee and all did a happy dance. But then around 2 he started actively refusing so as most experts suggest we backed off and didn't push it. Just before turning 3 he made his own decision that he was ready to use the potty like a big boy and did so. He went to underpants at 3 years old and never looked back - no accidents, nothing - I think because he was actually ready and not too early.

Have you asked your day care providers how they assist in potty training? I had a nanny so that was a lot easier to coordinate on, but I have to imagine this is something your day care goes through with every 2-3 year old in the place so they probably have a typical approach. Certainly they must have a role to play during the time he is with them!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The Moderators will likely move this to The Toddler Years or maybe Elimination Communication. For many babes, right after 1 year is actually a bad time to start potty training, there are windows until about 11 months and then after like 15 months that people have more success with potty learning. Anyway, early potty learning is about you catching your child's signals that they are about to poop or pee and getting them to the potty, in time it becomes a habit for them and they co-operate better. No punishment or rewards, though if you really want to you can cheer a bit for a successful potty trip. You can do that just in your time together. And ask your son's caregiver to vigilantly check for wet diapers and change immediately so he learns to dislike being wet or dirty.

Or, you can just wait until 2, 2.5, or 3 when he's ready to learn it in the typical way and timing nowadays. Don't feel bad if you do this, it's totally normal.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
1 does seem young! Watch for those readiness cues and go with that. I never really did much "learning" until well after 2.5. DS picked it up really fast. Everyone is different. For us it was a matter of putting him in undies during the day, all day. That seemed to help him.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
That seems young to me, too. Is he showing any signs? DS is 18 months and showing no signs at all of being ready. DS's daycare helps with the toilet training when they are showing readiness signs so you may want to ask to see what they do for when he is ready. I can't imagine them doing it though if he isn't ready at all.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
my dd is 14 months old and showing signs or readiness.

But they cannot support this at daycare. Not until she moves to the toddler rooms at 18 months. under 18 months is still in the infant rooms and she can only wear diapers there with no access to a toilet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.