Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first real period. I washed my pads in hot water with regular detergent twice and they are still coming out stained. I store them in soapy water and change that frequently until washing time.<br>
I just changed the water and this time I added oxyclean to see if that would help.<br>
The pads are about half hemp and half cotton.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Unfortunately hot water is really good at setting blood stains. Try putting them in full sun with lemon juice on them for a few days. You can also pour full strength hydrogen peroxide on them several times. I used to wash my pads with the diapers since they both required the same type of wash cycles.<br><br>
I'm not sure if pads will ever go back to being 100% white after the first use even with the best treatment. I intentionally bought black and dark blue ones so I couldn't see the stains! Having stains doesn't mean they aren't clean though.<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Soak them in cold water - any heat will set the blood stain right in.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ditto, my pads are all dark blue or dark green so the stains don't show. You can kinda see them if you look close, but no one but me should ever be getting that close, and I don't really care so long as they are clean.<br><br>
I've only ever washed them in regular warm or cold water, with the rest of my clothes.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by USAmma</i><br><b>Unfortunately hot water is really good at setting blood stains. Try putting them in full sun with lemon juice on them for a few days. You can also pour full strength hydrogen peroxide on them several times. I used to wash my pads with the diapers since they both required the same type of wash cycles.<br><br>
I'm not sure if pads will ever go back to being 100% white after the first use even with the best treatment. I intentionally bought black and dark blue ones so I couldn't see the stains! Having stains doesn't mean they aren't clean though.<br><br>
Darshani</b></td>
</tr></table></div>

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Next time rinse and soak in cold water, and you can try pouring hydrogen peroxide over the stain (it should foam up). Place 'face down' in the water and let it do it's work. Then you can wash on HOT with dipes or towels.<br><br>
Still though, light pads will probably stain a bit. You can try dying them with RIT (or whatever), just rinse them a bunch before using them (ask me how I know, :LOL)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts