Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I've never been a prolific producer. I'm not and never was able to pump tons of milk for use when I'm not around. That said, I usually pump twice a day (one in the am prior to dd eating & once in the evening). Between the two sessions I used to get 7-8 oz. My husband would use this milk to give DD for her evening meal before bed.<br><br>
Now, at 7 months my supply has been declining during the pumping sessions. Is this normal?<br><br>
I eat oatmeal every day and I had been taking Fenugreek capsules, which i think helped but I stopped since I heard that they can contribute to gas in babies & my baby has lots of gas. Is blessed thistle just as good as fenugreek? Is there something I can do to try to bolster my supply? We would hate to change the evening routine and my husband really loves the bonding time.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I assume from the fact that you're not talking about pumping at work that you're a SAHM?<br><br>
It's most likely not that your supply is dropping, it's that you're not responding to the pump anymore. My ds is 22 months and I can't pump a drop, even though I will get engorged after a whole day away (I WOHM 3 days a week).<br><br>
Blessed thistle works well, and other good herbs are alfalfa, nettles, red raspberry leaf, and fennel. If you don't like swallowing handfuls of pills you can try a tincture from <a href="http://www.motherlove.com" target="_blank">www.motherlove.com</a> - there's one that doesn't have fenugreek in it.<br><br>
Do you co-sleep? Nursing during the night is important for keeping supply up - babies who co-sleep get a lot of their milk at night.<br><br>
If you really can't pump, I would start nursing her in the evening and find new bonding rituals for dh, like reading to her or giving her a bath or massage.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We tried co-sleeping but it didn't work out for us. DD is a thrasher and she moves around way too much in her sleep. When she slept with us everyone slept poorly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts