Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has some circumstances (next month or so) that will cause her to be away from her dd who will be 7months old same as the age of my ds. I have convinced her to let me take care of the baby so that i can breastfeed her and hopefully save her and the baby from alot of pain from being away from each other. Having said that, i am hoping that her dd will take my breastmilk - neither her nor my ds will be eating. I have alot of milk but I don't know if its enough to ebf two babies and I am afraid of her dd rejecting my milk.

The one good thing is that her dd does sleep at night somewhat and my ds does not so I probably would only have one baby bf next to me at nite.

One question is should I start pumping to prepare my breasts for the extra nursling or should I wait until her dd comes and then go from there? If her dd rejects my milk should I just keep trying until she accepts it? Should I assign a breast for each baby and just feed from the one breast for that specific baby?

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I'd start pumping ahead. Then you'll have some freezer stash if she won't nurse from you at first. I might even try a trial run or two where you babysit her for a few hours and try to nurse.

to you for doing this!

-Angela

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I think a trial run is a great idea. mybe once a week till then nurse her so that you can see how it will go and get her used to your milk. And it wont be a huge change all at once.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the problem is ladies, we live thousands of kilometers apart plus the ocean.... she will actually have to fly here to leave her with me and she is willing to do that to make sure she is in good hands. So a trial run is rather impossible unless she comes a few days before hand but then she will have to leave her with me if thats the case anyway.

alegna so there is a chance she will take my milk from a bottle but not from my breast?

but I am hoping someone will answer my specific questions.

thanks.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
ooooo, that's difficult. Have you ever even MET this baby before? Wow, I can't imagine leaving my baby in those circumstances.

Yes, it's possible that the baby will take a bottle with your milk but not nurse. Also possible they will nurse from you fine. There's just no telling.

-Angela

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, I haven't met her. We are constantly in contact with pictures, etc. but this will be the first meeting.... kinda scary...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
when I wet nursed for a friend, the babes switched boobs often. I pumped ahead to get my body to make abit more (and took fenugreek, blessed thistle and alfalfa). I had luck getting my then 9 month old to nurse from both me and friend and her younger DD 2 mos. to nurse from me, but it took a while before her toddler 19 months would nurse from me. Eventually she realized she was missing out on the party and I often ended up nursing all 3 when I would see them (it svaed the youngest from supplementing near the end). It was funny to watch the 2 older nurslings eye each other over the boobs like "you stay on that side and I'll stay on this side and we can all get along"

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have nursed a friend's baby before and did not have any problems getting her to latch on. I would recommend pumping some ahead of time just to prepare your breasts for the extra milk you will need to produce. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts