Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having a difficult time breathing? I'm short on breath, and although my belly is certainly getting bigger and tighter, I haven't put on that much weight (like 10 lbs.)

I remember being out of breath a lot when I was pregnant with ds1, but this seems really early. Anyone know if it's because of hormones or anything else? I have an ob/gyn and I'm not thrilled with the thought of calling her. I thought I'd try here first.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yep, me too! I think it is about increased blood flow to pump through the heart more than weight gain. Nothing to worry about unless you are also feeling dizzy, really really tired, ect. Then you might want to think about checking for anemia. Otherwise, huff and puff we go!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Same here, I have a hard time breathing and I gained some weight... more than in my previous pregnancy. I have to remind myself to take deep breaths and not breathe superficially - or sometimes I don't seem to breathe at all!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ditto over here. I tend to walk around and pace while I'm on the phone and I've noticed that I'm short of breath within a few minutes of conversation. Also have four flights of stairs within my house, so going up and down from the bedroom to the basement doing laundry is a killer. I did something like 6 loads yesterday (post-trip laundry sucks!) and thought I was gonna have some respiratory failure!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Between the massive increase in blood you have to get oxygen for, and the uterus (now above your belly button) pushing other organs up and out of the way, I would think this is VERY normal. I'm having less trouble this time than with DD, I think b/c I'm carrying a bit lower. I wouldn't worry unless you felt dizzy or faint.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Me too. It's even harder after I eat.

The "cold" (I'm in Florida-cold to me), dry weather that we have been having lately isn't helping either.

I'm glad you posted this. I have been getting so many "you're HUGE already" comments from everyone (strangers and all), I am starting to get a complex about it even though I've been trying not to let it affect me. Then I started this troubled breathing thing so early and I was second guessing myself wondering if I really am *humongous* as everyone seems to think. I just think their perception is skewed about when March truly is, not as far away as it seems, in addition to me not disclosing that I'm "due" in early March.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hehehe, Tika--I get the same comments, although even I have to admit that I'm huge. I sat next to a woman last week at a La Leche League meeting who was due in about a week, and my belly was as big as hers or bigger. I haven't gained all that much--23 lbs or so. I am frequently asked if I'm having twins--which I'm not.

In my own defense, I will say that I am rather petite, although long-legged, so not much torso room--baby is growing straight out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
LOL Kate, that's basically what I say. I have a short torso, no where for baby to go but OUT.

I went to craft day at the MOMS club last week and there was a woman in there who was having her baby this week (didn't ask questions, don't want to know) and my belly was way bigger than hers. Everyone commented on how small her belly was, she was just an average size woman.

Just can't win...wish they'd just leave their comments to themselves.

I think so many people keep commenting because to them it looks like I'm due NOW. I really don't feel that big, most days anyway. Need to take a belly pic soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts