Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is X-posted on Homebirth boards.<br><br>
Here's my question. I have an appointment tomorrow with a mainstream Dr. (We want to get a sonogram U/S and first need approval from our primary care provider) What should I expect from this appointment?<br><br>
Is it going to be like my 1 hour MW appointments? What will they want to do to me? I don't feel comfortable using the doppler, so I will deny that if that's standard. Is there anything else I should be denying?<br><br>
(Oh, also my Dr. is a nice enough woman who isn't against Homebirth if you consider this phrase she told me as a positive comment, "You seemed to tollerate homebirth well the last time.")<br><br>
Thanks! I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I answered on the other board, but wanted to add that most visits are 15 minutes or less with the Dr/nurse, and a lot of time waiting around for them both. New patients often get a time slot of 30 minutes, but if so, you'll likely spend a good part of that alone in the room filling out paperwork.<br><br>
That's been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way! That's wild. Wow. Maybe I don't have anything to worry about. I mean, what can she do in 15 minutes?!?!<br><br>
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mamely -- 10 minutes?!?! That's like the amount of time it takes to switch over a load of laundry and not even fold the dry stuff. Wow. I think I might hate over that, too. Good for you for finding someone new for your next babe. They sound like good people.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I saw an OB for the first 6 months of my 1st pregnancy before switching over to my mw for a homebirth. For my last visit with the OB, I waited 2 full hours to see her for literally 5 minutes.<br><br>
Made it very easy to fire her a$$.<br><br>
peace, Beth

·
Registered
799 Posts
My first prental visit is a 2 hour visit. One hour with the nurse answering all sorts of questions and getting info and a full exam by the doc. Also lot of waiting. But since you are already seeing a mw the might skip that and just give you the normal appointment which for me is pee on a stick and weigh myself, blood pressure check with the nurse who also listens to the hb, and about 3 minutes with my doc. She measure the belly, feels around, and asks if there are any questions and thats it. I actually prefer them to be short and sweet. Good luck!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Wow, my doc must be the exception. He spends a lot of time with me, not only about the pg but chatting in general. He enjoys what he does and I can tell that. I do only get around 20 min. with him on routine visits, but the first one I had the pap smear and an u/s to determine the gestational age and lots of talk about some things that run in my family. The other visits they take blood pressure, weight, and feel the tummy.<br><br>
This is my second pg. With the first the visit went even longer.<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
279 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Heh! 10 min with my ob during my last pregnancy was considered a lengthy visit. I hate her. (Sorry).</td>
</tr></table></div>
Me too. I (stupid) even went to her for the 1st appointment of my 2nd pregnancy. 20 freaking minutes is all she spent. How fast can you possibly do a pap, listen to the doppler, feel up my boobs and ask medical questions?<br><br>
I ran to the midwives after that. Much happier.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've had 5 visits so far with homebirth doctors - they're all family practice, not OBs. I've averaged about 20 minutes with the doctor for each appointment. Only the last one was very short, had to wait alone in the room for a long time, and the doctor seemed distracted and rushed.<br><br>
For my appointment next week I called and asked for more time with the doctor. I have a list of questions, want to get to know him better, plus I want a tour of the hospital I'll go to if I decide not to stay home. They now have me scheduled for 3 appointment slots - 45 minutes. Should be more than enough. But it sounds like you maybe don't want more time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts