Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies. I am Alicia. I am a mom of 4 and my last baby was a C-section. My daughter was supposed to be a homebirth, but at 36 weeks I developed high blood pressure and went in for an induction....my induction ended with an emergency C-section.

I thought I had worked through a lot of my feelings, but I now am a brand new L&D nurse and after watching a beautiful vaginal birth over the weekend I realized how I cannot let a C-section be a part of my future. I would like to have another baby, but the small town I live in has NO VBACs. I have been torn between feelings of thinking about surrendering to another C-section just to become a momma again, but I just do not feel it is right for me. I need to heal and I feel as though birthing through my vagina is what I want and need to heal.

I want to get pregnant and give birth at home. I know that I have to get in the best shape possible to do this physically and emotionally, and I would like to know from ladies who have done it how they journeyed to this point. How did you heal from the feelings of total devestaion that I fell at times into having a trust and strength emotionally within yourself to do what people at times see as "insane", "irresponsible", etc.

I believe in my body and I believe that I can do this, but I feel like I have no one who understands me and no one to talk about all of these feelings with. I am looking to you all for inspiration and for stories of hope to hold onto through this journey.

Alicia

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm right there w/you. I'm going to hbac even though it will probably not happen for 3 or 4 yrs. Alot of places around here would allow a vbac, but I don't want to risk being "pushed" into another c/s.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alicia-

Your situation matches mine 100% down to the homebirth. She was my first child though. I made it so far into labor without an epi, but the mag sulfate suppresses contractions and the pit was turned up all of the way up so they decided to stop the pit to give me a rest. When they restarted it, my contractions never retreated. I would have agonizing contractions for 4-5 minutes at a time. I finally got an epi at 7 cm. It all went down hill from there.

I am not an L&D nurse, but went to nursing school and completed my mother-baby semester and loved it. I planned on becoming a nurse midwife. I was unable to continue at the time b/c I have Lupus and was very sick. My body couldn't handle the stress. So, I know what it's like to see those wonderful births.

Anyway, I really want another child and want a vaginal birth. My current doctor does v-bacs. She doesn't really induce until 42 weeks (if the fluid is getting low.) She doesn't seem all that enthusiastic about them though. I also keep worrying that I'll get pre-e again and get my hopes dashed. Part of me just feels like I should just give in and do another c-section.

I had no idea that HBAC was an option. There are midwives who do this?? Also, I wonder if there are some birth centers that do it as well. I live in Dallas, so it's a large city. I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I had an HBAC in a no-VBAC area. I got referrals for a great midwife (CNM) who had a natural approach to birth and would attend an HBAC. I would have to drive out of state to have the baby. Shortly after deciding on our midwife, we found out it was twins, and after some thought, research, and discussion with our midwife about her experience with twins (she had lots), we decided to stay with the HBAC plan. I just knew I WOULD NOT consent to having an unnecessary cesarean. Anyway, I had my twin HBAC on May 8, and it was WONDERFUL! I wouldn't do it any other way, ever again, at least not if I can help it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.