Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, I've been looking into a HBAC, the only issue we have is the money. It'll cost $2400 or I can have a hospital VBAC - they "allow" them here for a $15 co-pay, but only with an OB. If it's a hospital VBAC I can hire a doula for $400 and probably have chiropractor appointments. Money is tight here, what shall I do. If I have a HBAC there is no money left over for chiropractor appointments, etc. My first baby was born via c-section for posterior/asynclitic presentation. What would you do?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I vote for the HBAC. There are several exercises you can do to move baby into position on your own. Who knows if you will even have the same positioning problems with this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
940 Posts
And there's the third rail option-- fight with your insurance to cover the HB. Keep appealing to the next higher level, explaining how much money it saves them. A normal, complication-free vaginal birth in the hospital is around $5000-6000, once you start adding in all the interventions that most hospitals require for VBAC (EFM and IV, for starters) the cost goes even higher. I know of at least one woman who got her insurance to cover HBAC by pointing this out, but it does take a fight.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
You are lucky if HBAC is legal in your state; here in AZ it's not
:
I'd go with HBAC.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd check and see what kind of OBs you can find. Do they seem super supportive or are they wishy washy? What are their vbac success rates? Intervention free birth rates? Maybe if you found out the OBs are *really* supportive of vbac, or really NOT, your decision would be easier. You might lean to HBAC very easily!

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
for me i would definitely choose an HBAC - which is exactly what i did after my section

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I'd go with the HBAC. My h/i has stated that they won't cover hb, but my hb mw has an insurance billing person who has had luck getting reimb from my h/i for other hbs. I'm most comfortable at home for a number of reasons, so whether or not they will cover it - we're still going for it.

IMO...I think at home is your best chance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd do an HBAC. There are just more important things than money. I looking to do my second vbac next month and would LOVE to homebirth...there is just no one around here willing to attend. I have a midwife that I love, but she will only deliver at the hospital, which brings on a whole bunch of hospital fears. I also have to pay her 100% OOP b/c my insurance won't cover it..
: so it's not the matter of money, as I would be willing to pay for a homebirth too.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
My MW was able to bill our insurance for our prenatal and postpartum appts but not for the actual birth as they did not cover HBAC. So we only had to come up with enough to cover the birth and the birth supplies. Ask if she will take a payment plan. Or maybe barter for something. Does your hubby/partner do anything that she may trade for (maybe she needs some work done at her office, maitenance or cleaning)? My MW knew a chiro who would take her pg clients only when they needed some work and he only charged 10-15 per session with no requirements to go for more.

I would go for the HBAC! But it really depends on where you feel most comfortable.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'd try to decide I wanted *apart from the costs* and then try to figure in how important the cost side of it is. E.g., if you really really want a homebirth, you might find a way to do it, even if money is really tight. However, if you're lukewarm about a homebirth, and money is non-negotiable...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
HBAC!

I was able to get my insurance company (BCBS PPO) to cover part of the cost.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior mama
Hmm, I've been looking into a HBAC, the only issue we have is the money. It'll cost $2400 or I can have a hospital VBAC - they "allow" them here for a $15 co-pay, but only with an OB. If it's a hospital VBAC I can hire a doula for $400 and probably have chiropractor appointments. Money is tight here, what shall I do. If I have a HBAC there is no money left over for chiropractor appointments, etc. My first baby was born via c-section for posterior/asynclitic presentation. What would you do?
hey mama, i'm in the EXACT same situation. we decided, after much consideration, to go ahead with the hospital VBAC with a CNM. it took a bit of pushing to get the insurance to cover a CNM instead of an OB, but a few gentle nudges and they agreed. it's not ideal but we also couldn't afford the HBAC, no matter how much scrimping and scraping we did.

of course, this is a VERY personal decision to be made. some women are never comfortable birthing in a hospital environment, especially after a c-section or other birth trauma. i'm hiring a doula to help advocate for me. i've found peace in my decision. i'd much rather have money to feed my family and enough to hire a doula than spending literally EVERY dollar we have on a HBAC.

could you possibly get a loan or barter with a midwife to afford the HBAC? i'm just trying to think of possibilities for you. it sounds like you'd really much rather have a HBAC. best of luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im sorry but in MY opinion a HBAC (without a vbac first) is far to risky.
I will be having a hospital birth that is baby mother friendly (REALLY GOOD hospital) with a midwife, 2 doulas and an LC. I will be having a natural birth, but having the technology right there for me is very reasurring. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a hbac if thats what you want, but you asked for opinions. I would find a great hospital with the option of a midwife.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the great info. I am leaning towards HBAC, I live 5 mins from the hospital, my DH works in the ER there so is well known and if I transfere I feel safe and comfortable. To pay for the MW we will be using a credit card!!!! Unless we get a great tax refund next year!

Mooandme - finding a great baby-friendly hospital with midwives and hiring 2 doulas and a LC would entail me having to move to another part of the country or even world.....I am thinking Holland is the best place for VBACer's, which would be so much more expensive than a HBAC!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Okay, I know this is kind of OT...

Warrior Mama said

Quote:
I am thinking Holland is the best place for VBACer's
A good friend of mine just attempted a VBAC in Holland. While homebirth and midwife care are the norm in Holland, it's my understanding (based on her experience, which seemed to be based on the standard of care there, not what she wanted) that VBACers are expected to go to the hospital and are under the care of OBs (perhaps not for all of their prenatal care, but definitely for their births). *And* doulas became available there only in the last couple of months (the 1st 2 were certified in June, is my understanding). (Edited to add: yeah, she did wind up with a 2nd C, but she tried really hard, and overall, it was a better experience than the first time around. Still sucks though.)

I've VBACked in the hospital twice now, but I'm always annoyed whenever anyone has limited birthing options (including not being able to do a HBAC or have a MW).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a posterior/acynclitic baby also and can't make up my mind about HBAC vs. hospital VBAC for my next baby either. The one thing is though I will not do the next pregnancy without lots of chiropractic appointments. I did the home exercises last time, sat on a ball and all the other optimal fetal positioning stuff and I still got a posterior baby. I am not sure if chiropractic works, but I don't feel comfortable not doing it. For me personally, I wouldn't give up chiropractic knowing that sometimes with the OFP exercises, you can still get a posterior baby.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I vote HBAC. Having been there, done that, almost precisely the scenario you tell, I highly recommend the homebirth!!!!

I will never forgive myself for delivering in a hospital just to save a little money. It was not worth any amount of money in the world to have to deal with the hospital birth vs. just having stayed at home. I had a doula at the hospital, as well as DH. It was still hell. If you think you would be more comfortable at home, then stay at home is my advice. For so SO many reasons I wish I had stayed home (pm me if you want details).

For my third I did stay home, and OH what a difference!!! Never, ever, EVER again will DH or I ever even entertain the thought of hospital birth (unless it is a life-threatening emergency). Birth at home and birth in a hospital are such different creatures there really is no comparison.

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I was at my doula training workshop and asked the midwives, ob nurses, and doulas attending it what they thought I needed to do to make sure I didn't have a repeat c-section. They unanimously said, do not go to a hospital. I took that to heart since a good many of them actually worked in hospitals, they weren't just homebirth fanatics. I'm pregnant with my second now, and you couldn't pay me enough to go to a hospital. If cost or lack of insurance coverage is an issue, a middle ground might be to find a homebirthing md in the area. Also, those things about malposition that a chiropracter could fix could also most likely be sucessfully dealt with by a well trained midwife.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mooandme
I would find a great hospital with the option of a midwife.
There's someplaces that that is just not possible - like Des Moines, Iowa -- the "hospital midwives" won't take VBACS and to get in w/ an independent midwife, you have to have a prior history. The one midwife that takes VBAC's currently does not have hospital privledges. It's like picking from the best of the worst.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yulia_R
You are lucky if HBAC is legal in your state; here in AZ it's not
:
I'd go with HBAC.
It's not legal in my state either NJ
:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts