Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is almost 4 months old. We use mostly Kissaluvs, which I love. On the advice of a close friend, I got a few Fuzzibunz (8) to use for overnights. We are still sleeping on a pad (like the kind you would use in the hospital) to keep our bed dry at night. Everything leaks. We stuff the FB with prefolds; I've tried folding them differently, doesn't make a difference. The only thing the FBs have going for them is that I don't have to use a wrap so I cut out one step at night. So the other day I got fed up with the leaking FBs and decided to try using the Kissaluvs full time, night too. I changed him last night 5 times between 1am and 8:30, and that was waking up to him in puddles, not just normal feedings. He is only nursing 2 maybe 3 times at night, and I can sleep through nursing (did it for 2 1/2 yrs with dd, but we used disposibles at night with her after about 6 months), but I can't sleep through diaper changes. I think he just pees so much at a time that the dipe doesn't have time to absorb it. He sleeps mostly on his side and the top of the diaper will be damp or dry while he is laying in this puddle of pee. I don't have enough wraps to go through 2 each night (I generally hang one up to dry until the next change and throw those both, drenched in pee, in the pail in the morning). I just got a few doublers from Kissaluvs, so maybe that will work, but I'm doubting it. This kid pees so much. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Honey, what you need is hemp. Or else a nighttime-oriented diaper, like a Firefly Sleeptight or FCB Nightlight. FBs work for some, but you'd want it stuffed with hemp or a microfiber towels, not a prefold.
Personally I use hemp fitteds with a trifold soaker, under wool, and that seems to do the trick. If you're still nursing at night you might need to change him anyway, but you hopefully won't be in a puddle!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
rebecca!

I don't have a heavy wetter, so I don't have any specific advice to that problem. But I do use fuzzi bunz at night for my son (2 yo) stuffed with 2 joey bunz. I have NEVER had a leak. I also have used happy heiny's stuffed with 2 joey bunz at night for Karis, and never had a leak that way either. I hope you get it worked out soon!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I think you should get a good hemp nightime diaper and a wool cover.
I agree!!
We have a super soaker and the only thing that has come close to working for us is a hemp diaper and wool! Good luck, mama! Night time diapering can be really challenging with a heavy wetter

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so...if I'm understanding this right...I need hemp :LOL . ok, here goes. I'll let you know. Thank you so much for your quick replies! Wow, you people are fast!

·
Registered
100 Posts
My son was soaking his kissaluvs at 2 weeks. The kissaluvs doublers did not help. Now that I am not changing him every time I feed him at night (7 weeks), we mostly use fuzzibunz with two hemp soakers and he stays dry. He seems to be a frequent and heavy wetter but maybe not a super wetter.
I haven't tried them at night, but we are really liking a couple of fleece puddlecatcher dipes we got off trading post. They seem to be VERY absorbant. They would need a cover.
Others have recommended diapers I've heard good things about but haven't had the chance to try yet.

Good luck. I keep wondering if the fuzzibunz will keep working for us as Ds gets bigger and volume of urine increases. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnr3301
so...if I'm understanding this right...I need hemp :LOL .
You know... I think you need some hemp...

You also might be overstuffing the FBs... believe it or not that can lead to a leak. I have a super power wetter too but FBs worked great for us with a Ducky Buns insert. Kissaluvs lasted about 20 minutes, no kidding.

KindHearted Women dipes are great, Muttaqins are great... I'll come back with some linkies. Oh, also Nighty Newts from Little Lounging Lizards... nak or I would link you.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you're up to making inserts for your FB, I've found that cotton t-shirt jersey works almost as well as hemp, especially if you want a trim option without spending anything.
Also, for a boy you can fold the doublers to the front so all of the extra absorption is right in the wet-zone.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehndi mama
If you're up to making inserts for your FB, I've found that cotton t-shirt jersey works almost as well as hemp, especially if you want a trim option without spending anything.
Also, for a boy you can fold the doublers to the front so all of the extra absorption is right in the wet-zone.

Get right out of town! Seriously??? How many layers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.