Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 3 and we started potty training in April. By July he was a pro. I should add that we started potty training because he asked to, and he showed a lot of other signs that he was ready. We didn't push the issue, that was very important to us that we wait until he was ready.<br><br>
For the past couple of weeks it's like he has totally given up. He doesn't even try, just pees and poops in his underwear. We're expecting a baby this month--do you think that might be the reason? Did your child do this before a new sibling arrived?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Very likely the reason! But regardless of the reason, its probably best to assume there is a good reason and let him wear diapers again. If he protests diapers he can decide between the two: pee and poop in the diaper or in the potty.<br><br>
My son is not yet using the potty though I know he can--he just doesn't want to bother I think. (He turned 3 yesterday.) But we did just go through the transition of having a new baby in June. He went into regression a lot: not talking and crawling on hands and knees. Your ds will be forced through a transition that is intense. No matter how much love and attention you are able to give him, the baby will be the younger, more vulnerable, more needy one who sucks (literally) a lot out of you and away from your first. But who knows about the potty. I hear some kids really like the differentiation between baby and big brother. My ds likes to lay next to his baby sister and have their diapers changed together. <a href="http://www.acjdesign.com/julien/images/babywish/doublediaper.jpg" target="_blank">Here's a picture of them on the changing table together.</a><br><br>
Good luck. I hope there's not too much protest about using diapers again!<br><br>
Cindi

1 - 2 of 2 Posts