Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my 3.5 month old to stay on the breast for any amount of time at all. when he was younger, he would stay on ok and gained adequately, if not great. now his gaining has slowedd down to the point where my lc is a little alarmed. there doesn't seem to be any problem with supply or flow, but he will only stay on for one or two let downs and he'll only be on one breast for 5 minutes at the very, very outside, and usually only like a minute and a half. he nurses pretty frequently, i guess, usually every hour or so. i've had a couple people suggest i start him on solids, and a couple have suggested i start suplimenting him. i don't want to do either one. but he's not gaining real well at this point. i'd like to see him have feedings that last longer and are at least a little arther in between. he tends to be really fussy at the breast, too.<br><br>
any suggestions? please?<br><br>
sorry about the weird caps and punctuation. i'm nak and typing one-handed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmmm...<br>
No great insight here, but have you changed your diet recently? Started taking a new vitamin/supplement? Perhaps there's something new in your milk that he doesn't like the taste of.<br>
Even a new bottle of the same type of vitamins you've been taking can have some degree of difference....for example.<br>
I'm assuming that he's thrush free too?...sometimes that can get uncomfortable for them...<br>
Just some thoughts. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
have you tried breast compression? When his sucking slows down try running your hand from the top of your breast to the bottom to see if you can get him interested again. Can you nurse topless in bed? Limit distractions? Finally, did you night wean him? The milk at night is highest in fat, some babies need that milk to thrive. If you did night wean him, I would go back to nursing at least once at night.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
If he's nursing often but not nursing long and you say that he is nursing long enough to get a let down or two, maybe the problem is that he's not getting enough hindmilk to put on a lot of weight. Do you switch sides every time he nurses? If so, try doing it differently. Nurse on the same side for a couple of hours so that he will, hopefully, get more hindmilk.<br><br>
My baby started nursing for shorter periods around that age. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the nursing. He just became more efficient at it. If you are getting a let down or two, I would think he is nursing well. Just try to get more hindmilk for his weightgain. HTH

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You may also want to start pumping after some feeding sessions. You won't get much milk, but you will tell your body more is needed and that way more will come out when he nurses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts