Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My midwife shocked me with something she said in my visit today...

First, to preface, when I first spoke to my MW on the phone long before I got pregnant, she mentioned that the state requires her to transfer care at 42 weeks. However, my mom went 43 plus weeks with each of her four kids, and when I told MW this, she seemed ok with continuing care past 42 weeks if the need arose. Then when I finally got pregnant, I met with her again, and brought my mom along (Mom needed reassurance about homebirth for my first baby.) Mom mentioned her 43+ week pregnancies, and again MW said no problem going past 42 weeks.

Fast forward to today. It's my first 2-week visit and she's going over all the birth stuff. We started talking about head moulding, and she said "after 42 weeks the baby's head plates start to fuse together, and a c-section is necessary"
So again I mentioned my mom's history of very long pregnancies, and she said oh well some women just have 11-month (lunar) pregnancies and then she made some notes in my chart.

I've been quite happy with my MW so far, but I'm really concerned about this. I've heard lots of contrived excuses for inducing past 40 weeks, but this one is totally new to me. I've looked online for any confirmation of this head-moulding thing, but can't find any info. Has anyone ever heard of this??

Despite my mom's history, I'm not super-concerned about actually going post-dates because my sister had all her kids around 39 weeks, but hearing someone I thought was professional and knowledgeable about birth say something like this is really making me nervous...

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
It isn't that the babies head bones fuse together (this happens later in babyhood)- but based on Alex's experiences, sometimes a baby can be born with a strange-shaped head. His looked like a Klingon ridge, above the hairline, from where his head had been tightly compressed in my pelvis for nearly 6 weeks. (turned vertex at 37.5, was born at 43.5.) It fixed itself by the time he was a week old, though we took him to a cranial osteopath once it turned out that he was quite a colicky baby. I'll try and find the photograph and post it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Baby's cranial bones do not *fuse* until near the age of two. Even then, you still have some (limited) mobility between cranial plates, which is why cranio-sacral techniques work on adults. The wide open plates are a baby's "soft spot(s)" which persists long into infancy for most children.

This plate closing thing is total BS or misinformation in my opinion. FWIW: I am a chiropractor and do cranio-sacral work on a regular basis.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I'd probably sit down and really confront her about her fears re: going past 42 weeks. Talk to her frankly, tell her you're concerned about not having her support, etc. Be honest with her and ask her to do the same. Better deal with it now than at 41 weeks!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
In response to a pp - overriding sutures, which cause that "Klingon ridge" can happen at anytime. My older dd, born spontaneously at 39 wks 3 days had it, none of my rest did, including my 41 1/2 week little ds.
We told everybody who asked that dd was part Klingon - but her head rounded out nicely by the time she was a few days old.
The "soft spots" or the open areas between the cranial bones stay open for quite some time after birth, even. The posterior soft spot closes around 3 months of age, and the anterior around 9-18 mos of age. No problem with being overdue there.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
LOL! My DH, now in his 30's, still has a klingon ridge. I always make fun of him about it when his head is shaved and you can see it pretty well. I don't know what his head looked like a birth but it obvioulsly never quite rounded out

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went to 42+3 w/my daughter. When she was born, my midwife noted on her newborn exam: "zero moulding, ant font 1cm post-closed sutures-wnc"

Whatever that means! In my understanding, she had NO head molding (this was apparent even to me) and they advised that one of her sutures was fairly closed. Even so, it presented no problems with the birth, she came out just fine (all 10+lbs of her).

I second the suggestion to really talk to your midwife about your feelings, when I first interviewed mine, I was assured that post-dates past 42 weeks would not be a big deal, but it turned into more of a deal when that day came (though by then my first midwife had left, so I had another (free-standing birth center)).

Good luck, my mom had me right on her due date, I seem to be the oddball, so maybe you will not even have to worry about it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.