Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I'm having headaches every day. Minor ones. I've had a migrane here and there, but this is new...

I do have a cold; it could be sinuses, I guess. I'm taking very limited quantities of Tylenol, but I'd rather not. Any suggestions for other easy remedies?

I am drinking a cup or cup and a half of coffee a day, but this has been true for years; I don't think it's a factor.

I'll mention it to my mw at our next visit, but it's a few weeks away. Does this ring any danger bells for anyone, or do I really prolly just have a little sinus headache?

THanks.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You know, I am no expert...I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you in my 1st pregnancy! But, I too have had minor headaches on and off for the past month and a half or so. From what I've heard, drinking more water could help. I read that a few places and my midwife told me that too. If you're like me you think you're drinking plenty but you may not be. I'm not sure about the coffee. If anything, doesn't caffine supress a headache? I know that it can also be trigger for some poeple. It is probably your sinuses right now...and hormones.

I don't think it's a danger sign at all. From what I hear it is normal, normal, normal.

Mine are usually tolerable and when they get worse toward evening I usually just call it a night and sleep it off.

Good Luck!
amy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi-
I would'nt worry about it to much. I am about 15 wks. along with my second pregnancy and have a headache now and then. But with my first I had them everyday for a couple weeks, I asked my midwife about it and she also said to drink more water. I tried to drink more, even though I thought I was already drinking alot. It did'nt really seem to help me though. After a couple weeks they just went away. I took Tylenol also when it got really bad, although I did'nt like doing it.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
This seems to be the progression of my pregancies:
Positive Pregnancy test
I feel great!
I feel sick!
I feel sick!
I have a headache and I'm sick!
I'm sick!
I have a headache and I'm sick.
I can eat!
I have a headache.
headache, but eating
headache, but eating
headache.
headache.
headache
insomnia
headache & insomnia
back hurts
insomnia
headache & insomnia
insomnia
back hurts
hey, I haven't had a headache in a week!
labor begins.
hold beautiful baby and think, "What an easy pregnancy and labor!" Husband says, "What?!?! Where was I?"

There that's my seemingly typical complaint timeline for pregnancy. I'm in the "Oh, wow I can eat again and I have headaches" phase at the moment. I must be about 16-18 weeks along now.

In my experience headaches are quite natural and normal. This is a list of things that seem to help a lot of people:
Boiron Sinusitis homeopathic
Neti Pot
steam
winter cold
tylenol
humidfier in bedroom
Sudafed
Socks filled with rice microwaved for 2 mins.
Hot washcloth laid on painful area
massage
chiropractor
posting for comiseration on MDC
inversion
amputating your head

I wouldn't reccomend the last one, but hey if you get desperate.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Headaches are quite common in pregnancy, especially in the second trimester.
Some homeopathic formulas, especially Pulsatilla and Chamomilla can be greatly helpful in relieving headaches.
A few drops of lavender oil mixed with a Tbsp or 2 of carrier oil (jojoba, olive, grapeseed, almond, etc), then rubbed into pulse points and temples can also be helpful.
A hot water footbath w/ a Tbsp of mustard powder added to water is another great remedy for headaches and earaches.
I second the neti pot suggestion, especially if there is sinus pain or congestion.
Shiatsu and Acupuncture are great ways to relieve your head pain, as well as any other imbalances or irritations.
8-12 oz of water every hour is a good idea.
Eating on a regular schedule is also very important. Our blood sugar can be easily upset during pregnancy, and the need for regular meals, especially protien, is very crucial.
When all else fails, Tylenol is okay during pregnancy. Just remember over-use of this product is extremly hard on the liver!

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, guys.

Yeah, more water could certainly be a solution. I need to be better about it! I'm off to drink water right now!

Thanks for all the other solutions as well. A humidifyer and a nice hot bath - ok, warmish hot - sound pretty easy. Netti pots scare me a little! But if it persists, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Also, massage... dh could be employed to everyone's benefit! (Anyone else too tired for sex the whole first trimester? I'm glad to be feeling more energetic! But that's a whole other thread...)

This is really comforting. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I just wanted to add that i had pretty bad headaches for a couple weeks around week 13-14, but they are totally gone now. Like everyone has said, it's very normal. Welcome to the second trimester, I guess!

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
I've been having sinus headaches a lot lately. I don't remember if I had them earlier, but I think so. They were gone for awhile, but now they are back again some days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.