Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ach!! The day is soon here--Thursday.

I return to work with Baby! He is now just over 2 months old.
I work in a Doctors office, who specializing in Addictions treatment.
I will do medical intakes, interviewing clients before they see the Dr., and also from home all the appointment setting.
I'm really nervous!!!

I went in a couple of practice days. 2 of 3 days didn't go so well, but Yonah was much much younger, 3 weeks and at 1 month old.

He's a pretty predictable content little one. I usually see 4 clients within an hour. Near the end, when I was pregnant and felt working to be intolerable I was able to see all 4 within 20 minutes. I have about 40 minutes.

So I figure I'll whip thru all 4 clients as quick as can be, then spend the remainder of hour tending to baby if he would like or paperwork if he's asleep.

I'll wear him in sling, mei tai or wrap. I plan on bringing all 3 so I can figure out which I prefer.

Anyone who had worked with baby or knows anyone have any ideas or input for encouragement or management!!??

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I would be very interested to know how it goes. I brought DD to work for 2 weeks at 7-9 weeks old, then took off more time and then found a nanny. I found it impossible to get much done, but I think that's because I basically sit behind a desk at a computer. Plus I was always nervous about the perception that I wasn't getting my work done. With a sling and a job that you keep moving most of the time, that may be doable. That's good you have all 3 b/c they may work better for different tasks, moods or ages of your DC. On the plus side: I'm sure your clients will love it and may help relax them, even make your job easier??!! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
961 Posts
It is so great that you will be doing this and setting the scene for future mom's success with this endeavor.

The sling is my suggestion and to breast fed as soon as the baby gives you a cue(rooting, smacking lips, etc.,) not when fussy and starting to cry. And of course, the breastfeeding will decrease your stress with the hormones flowing.

When the baby cries, that causes LOADS more attention to you bringing the baby to work.

Good luck. I hope you are supported at work!

Take care.
PJJ

·
Registered
762 Posts
Colleen2 - All the best for your returning to work!!! It is great that you get to take your little one with

Hope you get loads of support at work!!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I did this too with my daughter - I used slings, but I also used baby entertain-o-matics, such as an exersaucer or gymini or whatnot, in order to give us both a little space sometimes. I worked at an office job, and it worked out fine. Although, it was helpful that I had a bunch of broody women around to take her sometimes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well so far so...ok.

I'm still uneasy. We've done two days.
Thursday was from 1-5p. It went really really well. Yonah slept the whole day except to nurse/get changed. He settled very well into the mei tai after we were done our break.

Then Tuesday. I Arranged for DH to have him in the morning and bring Y to me at 1pm. It was good. In the morn I burned thru everything I needed to do beyond my basic duties of doing the intakes wih the clients.

So when Y came, I had nothing to do. DH informed me on arrival tht Y was upset thugh.

He stayed awake for the rest of the day, and wasn't the happiest camper during two of my 5 intakes. Cried etc. I rushed thru them, cutting the poor guy off etc that I was intaking (the dr. congratulated me on getting the guts to do it finally, sometimes you really have to!!). I popped him out of the mei tai after I was done and had him have some stretch time on a blanket. He liked that and hapier afterwards.

I'll just keep focussing day by day. The Dr. I work with told me that she thinks its going well,I'm keeping up my efficiency and matching what I was at prior, and she has no cconcerns if it keeps going the way it is. She said she hasn' heard him upset yet, nor rec'd feedback of Y interferring.

We'll see...

We go back tomorrow..

I plan on bringing this portable seat/bassinet thing my sister gave me, for when Y really doesn't want to be in the carrier.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I worked with my DD from the time she was 3 months until she was 4 years old. I started taking DS at 9 weeks and his sister was 3 1/2. We did do part time child care as DD got older, but she stayed with me 2 days/week. I worked at a major university in the student services department and met with students (all ages, non-traditional, etc.) and co-workers throughout the day regularly. Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Don't be afraid to nurse your baby in front of your clients. If my DC was wanting to nurse, I would simply ask the person I was visiting with if they minded if I fed the baby and no one ever minded. I was discreet and kept my body covered, but not with a blanket, just with good sense.

2. Bring baby entertainment supplies to your office and continue to change them as your baby reaches new milestones. For example, at 3 months I had a playmat with mobil type things above hanging for baby to swat at. When DC reached sitting stage, I brought in the boppy for them to sit with support and toys to play with sitting. Brought a doorway jumper at a later date. Always had something entertaining.

3. Bring that portable bassinet you mentioned and swap it out to a pak-n-play as Yonah gets bigger. My babes co-slept part time at home but at work they slept on their own. Try to find a corner nearby to put the sleeping baby. I dont know if you have your own office for the intakes you mentioned, but if you do, maybe close the door when you are not with clients.

4. Try to accomplish tasks that take your complete attention while the babe is sleeping and save other jobs for awake time. I don't know all that your job entails, but I used to save the photocopying for awake time and take the baby in the sling and as they got older let them "help." I would reply to emails while they nursed or played on the floor. I would save the sleep time for the more detailed tasks. Hopefully you will start to find a nap schedule as your baby gets a little older and you can plan accordingly.

5. Don't be scared to let co-workers take your baby for a walk around the office or to a meeting that you are not attending within the office. My children used to visit with so many co-workers and they went to numerous meetings, both with and without me. That time was crucial for me to complete tasks that I was having difficulty with the baby right there needing me.

6. Don't be scared of what others will think. Of course, you don't want to have a screaming baby on a daily basis, but people know that babies are babies and they DO cry. From my experience, my co-workers LOVED having my children around and when they did fuss, everyone who was nearby wanted to offer a hand, not run the other way.

7. Be proud of your attachment parenting styles. Just think of all the wonderful things those other parents can learn from you and your little one at work together.

8. Remember to nourish yourself. While being able to bring your baby to work is such a wonderful opportunity, you (and those around you, DH in particular) need to realize that you are not only a working parent, but you are also parenting while you are working, and it is hard to balance them both. Take care of yourself and enjoy your little one and the precious opportunity you have to take him to work with you!

I wish you the best of luck. I can say that my experiences of bringing my DC to work with me were the best. The thing I was most sad about when my DH and I decided to move was that I would have to leave my job, which turned out to be like a second home. DD took her first steps there, I got a promotion while breastfeeding (an 11 month old babe), DS was there at such a young age. It was such a great experience.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I took dd to work with me for 2 months starting from age 8 weeks. She was a high needs baby and would not let me put her down or even sit down when I was holding/wearing her. I adapted my workspace to accomodate this. I put my keyboard and mouse on top of my desk so I could work standing up. I nursed her at my desk and could still answer phones (although the messages I took were hard to read
). When she needed to be worn down to sleep I took a break from my desk and walked her around the building or block until she was asleep and then got back down to business during the quiet time.

I did keep a playmat on the floor but she was never one to play on it for long. I mostly used it to give my shoulders a break from the sling.

My boss was very comfortable with me bringing the baby with me and would even suggest that I nurse her if we were talking and she got fussy!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its been going 'ok'
Today seem to be my hardest day: being Thursdays.
Dh takes Baby for a half day on Mondays. So on the half of the day he' not with me, I get done alot!!

So Thursday I feel like I am suspended ALL day in a panic or anxiety attack. I feel like I am drowning.

The DH comes, whisks Baby off home and I run about trying to close up and make it home in good time to feed.
Its been cold here and I guess DH doesn't like to wait for me? Usually I am grabbing food, so I think thats why he runs off, so he doesn't have to come with me to get food.

On Thurdays I have been coming home and freaking out. I literally lose it. I either bcome hysterical, bordering on suicidal, or almost catatonic. I lay on the couch or bed all night. DH pops Baby onto the boob, sits there and then takes him when he's done and plays with him etc. I feel completely immobolized by my stress. I hide from Baby on these nights because I don't want him to see me like that. So aside from nursing I'm not near him until bedtime. And by then, I'm ok but it takes a good 3-4 hours for me to feel 'ok' again.

I'm sitting here otnight, wndering is it worth it? I feel awful all day, then teh guilt comes pouring in. I feel guilty at what I feel is substandard. Substandard work, substandard parenting, and substandard wife. I know i am completely off base. All the feedback from my employer is that she sees no impact on my efficiency. I just get this irrational trip going on.

I literally manage my Thursday workday by going Minute to Minute. I can't think of the next 10 minutes lest I get WAY to stressed out.
I've worked in ridiculously stressful environments before (I was an addictions counsellor for a few years) I thought i could handle this. I'm not sure why I can't. And of course this is making things worse.
And again its just on the one workday. And Its a short one! Only 3.5 hours...

Again....is it worth it???? I'm thinking not.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time of it! It seems like it could be an ideal situation but if its not working for you it may be time to look at alternatives. Would you be able to find a university students to come watch your baby in the office on Thursday afternoons? He would be near but he wouldn't entirely be your responsibility. Or, maybe you can find a drop in day care for one day a week.

Just so you know, working and mothering is tough. I often feel overwhelmed after a long day at work and feel incapable of caring for my children when we get home. You are lucky that you have a supportive husband who will pick up the slack on the parenting when you need time for yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts