Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is the wrong area to post but it seems this sub-forum is filled with the mamas who know the most!

I have been working my way through a list of possible 'diseases' for a couple of years now. I have so many general symptoms that fit so many different diagnoses but have yet to hit upon my 'golden ticket.' I just tested negative for Celiac, so next on my list is Candida Overgrowth.

However, this is one of those 'oxygen mask' moments for me. I am still breastfeeding my 11 mos. old and would like to continue until she is at least 2 yrs. old before even considering weaning. I also would like to TTC in late 2010/early 2011. BUT - I don't want to in any way possibly harm my child by detoxing at the wrong moment. I also don't want to feel like crap every day if I don't have to.

What would you do - wait until weaning to detox/delay ttc, wean earlier than 2 yrs. to detox, detox while breastfeeding, other option I haven't listed here?

I appreciate any and all input you ladies can offer.

· Premium Member
4,469 Posts
That depends so much on what you're trying to detox - what are your symptoms, and what have you ruled out? The biggest concern with candida is that it is harboring mercury, and killing the candida will mobilize a bunch of mercury (not good at all for nurslings!).

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. I think my first step is to detox candida. I don't know how much mercury my body would have though as all of my fillings are composite, so it would just be environmental pick-up.

I haven't been super successful with getting tests. Everybody wants to diagnose just depression and chalk up everything else to coincidental. I do take Zoloft daily and it helps the severity of the mood swings but most of this stuff was happening before I started taking it, so I don't think side effects. So far, I have had ruled out thyroid issues, diabetes, IBS and celiac. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in 2005, which is just severe blood glucose drops but that seems to be a non-issue these days.

Symptoms are all over the map (now remember, you asked!
):

depression
mood swings
anxiety
irritability
headaches - every day low level
migraines - not often, mostly when I eat a lot of WHOLE wheat
bloating
gas
constipation
diarrhea
frequent bladder infections
constant vaginal yeast infection
rectal itching
fatigue
insomnia
poor digestion - occasional, I'll go out to eat and just 'potty-dump' undigested food

Yeah, way more than you probably wanted or needed to know.

My thought was to detox or cleanse, somehow push the 'reset' button on my system if possible. I just don't want to cause issues for my nursling.

· Registered
5 Posts
I know that you stated you have tested negative for Celiac, but have you ever gone on an elimination diet? You could still have adverse reactions to certain that won't show on certain tests.

Otherwise, I would detox after done fully breastfeeding, before ttc again.

;-)
Sara

· Registered
2,243 Posts
I have no idea how to answer your question, but I do have a general health tip. Get away from Fluoride--in your shower and drinking/cooking water. It can cause a host of health problems. Buy a good water filter that will eliminate the fluoride and other chemicals (if you have city water that is.) Your body will absorb them through the skin. Sodium Fluoride is poison, no matter how much the gov't claims it's good for your teeth! (the scary thing is that it is in much of the city water that is used in processed drinks and foods!)

I would do a very gradual diet change, so gradual that it will not shock your system. I too am nursing, and trying to change my diet. I am going slowly and gradually....giving up a certain food while adding more fruits & vegs, and trying to go for organic, non-processed food. It is HARD!! So far I've quit milk and cheese, and my skin is clearing up! I even passed on chocolate candy yesterday!
Then, you can gradually start to give up sugar (or whatever it is you are trying to avoid), but do it at a slow, steady pace. So you will get used to the change, and so the nasty candida will not be shocked either. Plan to take months, and don't give up if you have a bad day.

Good luck with your decision to be healthy. It is a struggle to deprogram ourselves from a lifetime of eating the wrong foods.

· Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Sorry, this needs to be fast, I'll try to come back. With that list of symptoms, I'd suspect three things:

1) Nutrient deficiencies - zinc and mag in particular. Low zinc leads to low stomach acid, which leads to poorly digested food, which makes a stellar environment to grow yeast (yes, it sounds like you're dealing with yeast, but maybe just as a side effect of other issues). Low mag is associated with mood swings, depression, migraines, irritability, anxiety... you get the picture
. And SSRIs can cause mag deficiency.

2) Food intolerances. The bloating/gas stuff could just be poor food digestion and yeast/bacteria overgrowth, but I'd try going off the top 4 intolerances - dairy, gluten, soy, corn for a week or two and see how you feel. That isn't long enough to see all the effects, but likely you'd see some positive effects if that is the issue.

So if I were you, the first three changes I would make - get on a good group of supps, including lots of zinc and mag (if you post what you're thinking about taking, folks here can help make sure they're good forms/doses and fine while nursing). Second, get on a good probiotic - start slow, because you're nursing, and pay attention to any reactions/changes for your babe. Third, try 1-2 weeks off dairy/gluten/soy/corn. I'd be surprised if those three don't at least start to help you, and none of them (since you likely don't have mercury issues) should be a problem while nursing.

· Registered
3,568 Posts
Do you have a lot of amalgam? Go slowly with the detox and killing of the candida. The candida like to hold on to the mercury and they release the mercury back into the body when they die. If you kill them really fast, then a lot of mercury is released and it can make you feel ill and leach into your breast milk.

· Registered
6,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariatrance View Post
depression
mood swings
anxiety
irritability
headaches - every day low level
migraines - not often, mostly when I eat a lot of WHOLE wheat
insomnia
poor digestion - occasional, I'll go out to eat and just 'potty-dump' undigested food
I would look at adrenal and serotonin support for the mood stuff. The adrenals need B5, B6, mag, vit C; serotonin needs a bunch of stuff but folate (not folic acid), b6, b3, mag, zinc top the list. The insomnia is likely related, so the same nutrients plus b12. And a b complex is a good idea, in addition to the extra b's to help balance them all out.

Dh gets the same occasional digestive issues. I'm wondering if it's sulfites or the like for him. Do you have any guesses what might be causing it for you?

And I second the idea of non-celiac gluten intolerance. It's amazingly common - likely even more common than celiac disease.

Finally, when we talk about detox here, it's typically the liver detox pathways rather than 'a detox.' It involves targeted nutrients to make sure our bodies are eliminating toxins properly, and seems to do far more good than harm for our nurslings.
http://heal-thyself.ning.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.