Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has had to take antibiotic on a few occasions for severe UTIs.
I've been reading about restoring gut health but almost everything talks about bone both and dairy....or things my 9 year old isn't going to eat. I can't see her eating sauerkraut. She takes a daily probiotic already but I need to figure out what else we can do to help restore her gut.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been listening to an old podcast called professor blastoff, and one of the comedians got c-diff, a terrible bacterial condition that almost killed her. It was caused from antibiotics she had taken for pneumonia that wiped out all her healthy gut bacteria. In recovery I remember she was drinking a meal replacement called Raw Meal, Garden Life brand. Totally vegan and has everything you need as far as nutrients... Maybe Google C-diff diet for other ideas....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,695 Posts
There are different kinds of sauerkrauts out there, so maybe some might be more to her liking. My kids are very choosy about sauerkraut. How about something like kombucha or vegan yogurts? Trader Joe's sells coconut yogurt. We've tried making Rejuvelac using both quinoa and wheat berries, and had better luck with the quinoa just because the wheat berries were so old, they did not sprout, or barely sprouted. But then I used them to make a wheat berry salad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is DD exhibiting symptoms of GI distress since being on the antibiotics? I wouldn't assume that they have disrupted things. Sometimes they don't. Kombucha drinks might be something she would enjoy. You can mix them with water to make them less strong. Also sauerkraut can be quite tasty/palatable. And even non-dairy yogurts (coconut, and almond milk) are cultured.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She hasn't really had any GI problems, but she is having some skin issues and our doctor has talked about leaky gut as a possibility.

All of these are good suggestions! Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts