Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new mom could not breastfeed, so she gave her baby a

Quote:
new type of formula contains two fatty acids found in breast milk.... called DHA and ARA. But just two days after bringing Mikaylee home... began having doubts about the formula because her daughter became very ill.
The baby was then in the NICU for three days.
The baby only got better when she was switched to a formula without the DHA/ARA.

About these new fat blends:

Quote:
parents don't know the formulas are not FDA tested
Possible side effects may include diaper rash, diarrhea, throwing up or stomach pain, they said.

They then featured another mom who bought the new formula because of advertising, who said she had heard similar stories from other moms about sick babies.

http://www.fox25.com/ Click on "Fox 25 Undercover" and scroll down. (Note in 2006: this link no longer works but you can find the story at kellymom.com)

Quote:
extracted from fermented microalgae...and soil fungus. ....

...Side effects have been reported in animal studies...

... not approved by the FDA...an enormous uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent.

....many reports of babies being fed Lipil and experiencing watery, explosive diarrhea.
Also discusses unethical and illegal behavior of salespeople and scientists who claim these products are safe.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...-comments.html

· Registered
6,616 Posts
I know many many people who stretch their budgets to buy it. One friend told me that she couldn't *not* buy it, because if it were later found to be better then she would be a bad parent for not having bought it. A nasty trap set by the companies. After all, who thinks it will be proven worse??

On another note, at least it doesn't smell too bad. It seems like even the LIPIL soy formula isn't as bad as I expected it to be. No offense to anyone who uses soy formula, just that I've made a lot of it and just can't stomach the smell of Prosobee.

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at the peds. recently and saw an ad in Parenting...Beechnut is now adding these artificial fat blends to jarred baby foods too.

From the Beechnut website

Quote:
Beech-Nut® proudly introduces Beech-Nut® First Advantage™ with DHA. A nutrient found naturally in breast milk, DHA supports baby's mental and visual development. Beech-Nut First Advantage with DHA is made with natural, wholesome ingredients that your baby will love.

Learn all about DHA and the breakthrough in infant nutrition it represents right now by clicking here
Baby will just love that natural, wholesome algae and soil fungus...yum.
:

· Registered
11,048 Posts
Note: I am not saying that it is a good thing to add these fats to formula unstudied!

....but I actually take a DHA supplement that's derived from microalgae. Algae make DHA and then get eaten by fish up the food chain, so that's why fish oil supplements are high in DHA/omega 3 fatty acids. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat fish or fish products. I also eat flax seed on my cereal, but I want to make sure I'm getting enough omega 3s and DHA to get into my breastmilk. Also, I wouldn't eat fish or take the fish oil supplements even if I weren't vegetarian because of the issue with mercury contamination.

So I"m not sure the Kellymom poster is correct when she says these sources are new to the food chain, at least about the DHA coming from algae. IF you eat fish, you're getting DHA that was originally from algae.

Here's who makes my supplement: http://www.nutru.com/dha-omega.htm

Just another persepctive for you.

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jane, I understand that algae may be healthy for ADULTS sometimes such as what's that stuff called? Spirulina? Is that algae?

But my main concern is infants, who cannot always tolerate algae it appears.

And do we know enough about how the algae is processed, and with what chemicals for instance? If it's so safe why are a number of babies getting very severe diarrhea after drinking these new formulas? (Or is that from the "soil fungus?")

I agree these links I posted raise as many questions as they answer. I feel the formula companies want to make as much money as they can, before concerned health experts find out the answers to these questions.

· Registered
8,471 Posts
Jane, you are an adult, able to make the decision to eat that supplement for yourself. There are many foods that adults eat that should never be given to babies because their immature body systems simply cannot handle them. Honey is an example of that.

Quote:
They were simply allowed onto the market with the stipulation of post market surveillance. This means give the formula to as many babies as possible and see what happens. Since the clinical trials (experiments on babies) were done on small numbers, this allows the formula companies to have access to the entire population of babies born in the US every year, 4 million. The formulas are under study by the Institute of Medicine for safety. This represents an enormous uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent and is staunchly defended by health care professionals who are wedded to the infant formula industry.
In other words the formula companies are performing a large experiment on the world's nonbreastfed babies, without consent, without information, without informed consent.

So much for ethics and morals and trustworthiness and honor in the business world.

· Registered
12,525 Posts
Yikes! I hope this info is included in the pro-BF campaign that is being launched in October. A lot of ff moms probably have no idea about this. Just one more reason why breast is best!

· Registered
9,433 Posts
beech ut says their dha comes from egg yolk???

i know the soil fungus and algae are the source for teh aim...

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
refresh

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Momtwice
Actually these fatty acids are nothing like what is in breast milk and pose a number of known and unknown risks to the infants who consume them. The DHA is extracted from fermented microalgae and the ARA is extracted from soil fungus. ...
Holy cow!!! This is awful.

Momtwice... if you write a letter to Brooke Shields, I hope you include all that informations. It's news to me.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Momtwice, just FYI, I created a new thread (this topic) on the Feeding Choices board (formerly called the BF/FF debate board) just to let FF moms know of this contraversy.

Click on "Baby Formula Warning - new "smart" fats":

http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby/babyfeeding/1194

Just so you can read some of the eye opening responses.

Apparently, there are many FF moms who have experienced problems.

I used to post on Baby Center a lot. It's mainstream. I hope it's not against MDC rules to post a link. It is in no way meant to make posters there look bad (and they don't... just more things are brought up). I am just sharing more info.

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump

· Registered
103 Posts
I've got a pack of "Expecta Lipil" DHA supplements for pregnant and nursing moms. This is a free sample my mother picked up from somewhere. From the back:

The DHA in Expecta * a non-fish source of DHA
* Made with the same trusted (heh) DHA source that is in Enfamil LIPIL infant formulas.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
The Beech Nut baby foods are made with egg yolks and are marketed for older infants- unlike the formulas that are marketed for newborns.

I'm glad this info is being shared on a mainstream site where many FF moms go. I hope this spurs many of them to start buying "regular" formula instead of the "advanced" versions. I have to wonder, though, how many are going to start distrusting the whole formula lobby and go back to canned milk and corn syrup concoctions for their babies.

· Registered
1,064 Posts
omg...this is horribly upsetting...but I am glad I found it here. My twins have had to have a percentage of formula supplementation since they were 6 weeks old...I looked into donor milk, but just couldn't afford it(ins would not cover it). They have had bad bad problems -- black/green oily stools and horrible abdominal upset...I have been suspecting some kind of liver toxicity for awhile...but couldn't find ANYTHING stating that the artificial infant "milk" could be doing this to them!
:

--Amanda

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.