Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new mom could not breastfeed, so she gave her baby a

Quote:
new type of formula contains two fatty acids found in breast milk.... called DHA and ARA. But just two days after bringing Mikaylee home... began having doubts about the formula because her daughter became very ill.
The baby was then in the NICU for three days.
The baby only got better when she was switched to a formula without the DHA/ARA.

About these new fat blends:

Quote:
parents don't know the formulas are not FDA tested
Possible side effects may include diaper rash, diarrhea, throwing up or stomach pain, they said.

They then featured another mom who bought the new formula because of advertising, who said she had heard similar stories from other moms about sick babies.

http://www.fox25.com/ Click on "Fox 25 Undercover" and scroll down. (Note in 2006: this link no longer works but you can find the story at kellymom.com)

Quote:
extracted from fermented microalgae...and soil fungus. ....

...Side effects have been reported in animal studies...

... not approved by the FDA...an enormous uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent.

....many reports of babies being fed Lipil and experiencing watery, explosive diarrhea.
Also discusses unethical and illegal behavior of salespeople and scientists who claim these products are safe.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...-comments.html

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at the peds. recently and saw an ad in Parenting...Beechnut is now adding these artificial fat blends to jarred baby foods too.

From the Beechnut website

Quote:
Beech-Nut® proudly introduces Beech-Nut® First Advantage™ with DHA. A nutrient found naturally in breast milk, DHA supports baby's mental and visual development. Beech-Nut First Advantage with DHA is made with natural, wholesome ingredients that your baby will love.

Learn all about DHA and the breakthrough in infant nutrition it represents right now by clicking here
Baby will just love that natural, wholesome algae and soil fungus...yum.
:

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jane, I understand that algae may be healthy for ADULTS sometimes such as what's that stuff called? Spirulina? Is that algae?

But my main concern is infants, who cannot always tolerate algae it appears.

And do we know enough about how the algae is processed, and with what chemicals for instance? If it's so safe why are a number of babies getting very severe diarrhea after drinking these new formulas? (Or is that from the "soil fungus?")

I agree these links I posted raise as many questions as they answer. I feel the formula companies want to make as much money as they can, before concerned health experts find out the answers to these questions.

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
refresh

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump

· Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
twins, I'm sorry you've had such an upsetting experience!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.