Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the title says it all...
im looking for healthy bfast recipes... so far ive been just making outmeal... which is getting old... im trying to cut back on eggs so oatmeal seemed like the only option...
thanks everyone!

· Registered
10,748 Posts
homemade English muffins with peanut butter & honey
hot buckwheat cereal (more protein than oatmeal, I believe)
cold cereal with milk
granola with yogurt
what's wrong with eggs? they're a nice filling breakfast food

· Registered
7,725 Posts
BAKED oatmeal!!!! Seriously. I hate regular oatmeal, but the kids and I eat baked oatmeal every day for breakfast. I always mix it up. Sometimes I add chopped up apples, sometimes I add blueberries, sometimes I add cranberries, sometimes just raisins. It's always different. I use this recipe except for I only use 1/4 cup sugar and I substitute applesauce for the oil.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Fruit salad & yogurt

I also love fruit tabouleh - soak bulgur wheat overnight with an equal amount juice (usually 1c to 1c), maybe a touch of honey, maple syrup, cinnamon. Make a fruit salad (bonus if you add mint), mix them together in the morning.

I eat egg, cheese, and spinach (either sauteed with lemon & garlic oil, or raw) sandwiches a lot for breakfast a lot. I mainly mention it cause I use just one egg, which might still be cutting down on eggs if you usually eat 2.

· Registered
3,817 Posts
Wraps are good for breakfast. . .you can throw anything in them. My fav is cheese, turkey bacon (or egg), and sauteed veggies. I also like grits in the morning with sauteed veggies and an egg on top. Personally not a fan of oatmeal, but do like it with homemade applesauce in it (not time for apples though here so no oatmeal for a couple more months). Smoothies are big in our house: yogurt, fruit, honey, whatever we have (we sometimes put in a greens powder, DD will drink it but DS wont). Sorry, I'm not so much help. . .eggs are pretty big for breakfast in our house
:

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the recipes, that baked oatmeal sounds interesting, i will definetely try it in the coming days ...
we do a lot of smoothies too, but i find myself hungry soon after i have one if its all be itself.
the reason we are cutting back on eggs is that my cholesterol is high and my hubby's triglicerides (almost 100% sure thats not how u spell it
), so its not just eggs, we are trying to eat less animal protein and more greens, grains, fruit...

· Registered
196 Posts
How about adding oatmeal (leftovers, or uncooked oats) to the smoothie? I keep meaning to do this myself. It really does make it more filling, as does the addition of some fat, either whole milk or whole milk yogurt, or coconut oil.

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
BAKED oatmeal!!!! Seriously. I hate regular oatmeal, but the kids and I eat baked oatmeal every day for breakfast. I always mix it up. Sometimes I add chopped up apples, sometimes I add blueberries, sometimes I add cranberries, sometimes just raisins. It's always different. I use this recipe except for I only use 1/4 cup sugar and I substitute applesauce for the oil.
i did this one this morning, it was quite delicious!!! it really was like an oatmeal cookie for bfast. i think next time i make it, i will try using agave nectar instead of sugar, or maybe borwn sugar instead of white. everyone in my family liked it, and more importantly i did, since im not a big fan of plain old oatmeal at all
thanks! ill keep on trying with other stuff

· Premium Member
1,263 Posts
cow fat cottage cheese, with some berries and fruit, mixed with a teeny bit of vanilla and honey, and a piece of multigrain toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter or so.

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I also love fruit tabouleh - soak bulgur wheat overnight with an equal amount juice (usually 1c to 1c), maybe a touch of honey, maple syrup, cinnamon. Make a fruit salad (bonus if you add mint), mix them together in the morning.

This sounds soooo yummy... going to try it tonight for tomorrow morning's breakfast!
We love steele cut oats in the crockpot topped with fruit.....
~maddymama

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.