Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ladies.

I am a year off from TTC but I am already 31. I want to be healthy and ready when we TTC this time next year. I want the best start for my baby and I want TTC to go fast and easy so we can fit in 2 or 3 blessings before I am 40.

I am off BC pills and we are useing foam untill FAM works out (FAM says not to trust your chart right after BC Pills),

I am off caffieene and working to cut out artifical colors/swenters.

I have started yoga and water arobics and running (I am a wuss and run a short distiance and am winded). I am also working on my non-existent flexiblity.

I am taking a food-grade pre-natal (Rainbow Light) and DHA (not from fish) right now.

Any other suggestions?

I've heard flax seed oil for TTC, yes? no?

TIA for any adivce.

Aimee

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Hi there!

First let me strongly recommend a book called Expecting Fitness, which has great exercise routines for pregnancy. It gets a little heavy with the "best place for birth is a hospital" jive in the introduction, but if you can get past that it's a great book. Starting the kegelling exercises right away would be a great thing to do for yourself. It also has the best description of how to really do a kegel that I have ever read.

Anyway, you wanted to know about herbs and stuff. I'm taking Raspberry and Red Clover infusion, and could add Nettles and Oatstraw as well. They are all nutritive, which means they work by providing nutrients in a form that the body assimilates easily. I'm also taking a tincture of Vitex and Motherwort, 4:1. You might want to do that too, since Vitex can help your hormones sort themselves out by acting on the pituitary; rather than adding more outside hormones to your system, it helps you regulate what you produce. You stop the vitex when you are menstruating and then pick it up again after.

Other than that, getting extra calcium is probably a good idea. Also get yourself used to eating lots of protein (from whatever source you want, as long as the amino acids are all there) because protein is what will build your baby, and keep you from having blood sugar crashes and excessive nausea.

Do you find that Rainbow Light prenatal (is it the once a day?) makes you constipated? I've been taking it too and having that problem....I think it's all the iron. I'm considering switching back to a regular one and just taking some extra folic acid. Hmmm......

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've read that being on BCP can leach your folic acid and reduce your absorption. After going off the pill I quadrupled up on folic acid (its water soluble, so any extra will be peed out). Also, make sure you're getting enough zinc - it has a lot of important functions and BCPs also diminish it in your body.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rainbow Light is 3X daily. Right now I am taking it2X when I start to TTC or get closer I will do 3X. I take calcuim and I am still taking Extra B cause the BCP leeched it out of my body.

Raspberry and Red Clover infusion, and could add Nettles and Oatstraw as well. ..........................do you drinka tea, I have seen rasberry tea, or is it a supplment. Brand suggestion?

of Vitex and Motherwort, 4:1......................same question? tea? Drink? supplment pill?

Aimee

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
An infusion is a very stong herbal tea. Basically, take the herbs, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 c. of each, and put them in a 1 qt. mason jar and pour boiling water over them. Cap immediately, and wait 4-6 hours. Then drink it. You can mix with juice or water, warm it up again, whatever you want. If you just make a regular tea it might taste good, but you won't be getting all of the minerals which are what you want. Brands....hmm. You're going to need a lot of each herb. Where are you? Is there a local herbal apothecary type place? I'd say avoid Frontier if you can, those are the people that Wild Oats buys from (and probably Whole Foods too, I'd imagine), because they tend to let their stuff sit around for a long time and it loses potency. I'm looking online and I see this Cheryl's Herbs 843 Hanley Industrial Ct, St. Louis. Could you get there? They have an online store, too. I'm in Oregon, and don't really know anything about this place but it says that the owner has studied herbs for over 30 years.

The vitex and motherwort is a tincture blend. A tincture is an alcohol extraction. It looks like Cheryl's could make a blend for you. 4 parts vitex to 1 part motherwort is what I am taking, a clinical herbalist friend of mine suggested it. I take 1 tsp. morning and night. If you can find an herbalist in your area, you ought to have a consultation because your constitution might be different than mine, and have different needs.

If you want good herbal reference books, anything by Rosemary Gladstar is worth buying. I have her Family Herbal which has good baby care product recipes as well as more medicinal information. She tells you how to make all of these things like infusions, decoctions, salves, syrups, tablets......and it's a beautiful book, too.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

uh I feel like a 1st grader in college? If I go to Whole Foods, the only real place around here, will they be able to help me?

How do you find an herbal apothecary?

I will look up Rosemary Gladstar's books and start reading.

I am cutting over to all organic; or as much as possible. So I am working on it.

I appercipate all the suggestions and information.

Aimee

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I wouldn't count on the people at Whole Foods knowing much.....You could try doing a google search for herbalists or herb stores near you, you could mail order with somebody, there might be people who could do a phone consultation. Give that place in St. Louis a call, I think they have an 800 number....

Otherwise, yellow pages, alternative newspapers, is there some kind of monthly or quarterly new-ager paper? In Chicago, it was the Monthly Aspectarian...

Really, Whole Foods would be OK and you could order through them if they didn't have what you want, but we're talking largish amounts of herbs, and that could get pricey.

Is there a bulk buying co-op near you?

You know what, you could try out some different herb combos a la Rosemary Gladstar, and if you hit on something you like then you could mail order from someplace that could get you a good price. BTW you want certified organic, non irradiated herbs.

Good luck to you.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts