Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever bought any waterless cookware?

We just saw a presentation by a salesman for Healthy Gourmet cookware (Americraft) at our local fair and it was very impressive.
I can hardly believe it but I'm actually considering spending $2000 on pots and pans!

This is A LOT of money for us and we'd be on a 12 month layaway plan to pull it off so I want to make sure it's a worthwhile investment.

I'm very concerned about the possibility that this is a scam of some sort but I haven't found anything online that would indicate that this cookware is anything less than amazing and I was just wondering if any mamas around here have had any experience with this company or waterless cookware in general.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
What on earth is "waterless" cookware?

IMO, if it's a legitimate business, you would be able to purchase one pan to see if you like it, if it's worth the money, etc, and not have to shell out $2,000 at once. Many people with "top of the line" kitchen sets build up the collection slowly, one piece at a time as they can afford to.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's basically cookware that is composed of several layers of steel, aluminum, and cast iron (all wrapped in surgical grade stainless steel) so that it conducts and retains heat evenly and cooks the food from all sides when the top is on. Like a mini oven. It seals in moisture so that you can cook vegetables and meat without adding any water, therefore not losing any nutrients that are usually leeched out in other cooking techniques.

He demonstrated by cooking some veggies and chicken (frozen!) in 15 minutes without any seasoning and it was delicious and perfectly tender and moist!

It is frustrating that I can't just buy one pan. I can buy an electric skillet or slow cooker alone and we might end up doing that... The 10-inch electric skillet alone was $400 though and if you buy the $2000 set you get the electric skillet, slow cooker and vegetable chopper "free"...

Here's a link to a picture of the set we are thinking of getting.. The Family Set.
http://www.healthygourmetcookware.com/customer.cfm

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
This screams scam to me.

It's not really hard to steam vegetables properly. It requires some attention, and some practice with timing vis a vis the rest of the meal. Those same talents are going to be required to cook with this new, expensive type of cookware requires. I really doubt the results you get are going to be that much different -- better or worse -- than with the cookware you already have (assuming you've got something better than super-lightweight aluminum pans).

If you have low-quality cookware, by all means, upgrade to something solid and better quality. But I think you can find a much better value for your money, and enjoy the upgrades sooner and with less disruption to your family's budget, than you would by investing in this set.

ETA:

1) This sounds like it's basically a pressure cooker, all fancied up with a new name. You can still buy pressure cookers, though, for a lot less than $2K. (And why you'd need multiple pressure cookers is beyond me.)

2) Also, a good quality pot will already have a lid that forms a pretty effective seal. Obviously, not a vacuum-tight seal, but tight enough that you don't lose THAT much moisture.

3) Much of the nutrients lost in cooking are lost because of the heating of the food. This "waterless" cooking isn't going to be able to combat that at all. It's not so much that nutrients "leach out" and are wasted down the drain, it's that heating can denature the proteins and vitamins in the food.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
If it was a legit company, they'd sell each piece individually, but with a modest discount by buying the set. I can't tell you if this is a good product or not, but it really sounds like the company is "questionable" and I wouldn't buy anything from them.

For the same money you can buy good quality cookware from reliable brands.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I think my MIL has them... looks like those, anyway. She loves them. I've never tried them, but I know there's some "special" way of cooking so I'm afraid of cooking at her house and ruining her expensive cookware
:

She said she heard the schpiel about 20 years ago and desperately wanted them, so she ended up doing it when she had some extra cash (i.e. when the kids all finished college).

On the plus side, we inherited her old expensive cookware...

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If it was a legit company, they'd sell each piece individually, but with a modest discount by buying the set. I can't tell you if this is a good product or not, but it really sounds like the company is "questionable" and I wouldn't buy anything from them.

For the same money you can buy good quality cookware from reliable brands.
The website says it can be bought individually, by the set, or in the "specialty collection"

Maybe buy one and see how you like it?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I'm addicted to cookware. I sell Pampered Chef and have most of thier cookware. My favorite pieces in my kitchen are my Le Crueset dutch oven and my Pampered Chef 12" stainless steel Skillet. That 12" skillet makes cooking so quick. I can put all the chicken or steaks in it to cook at the same time instead of putting 2 at a time and spending forever at the stove. It's stainless steel with an aluminum core and it's so easy. My Le Crueset pot is for soups and for when I cook meats with wine. It simmers perfectly for hours without needing more water.

I also have an 8qt pressure cooker that rocks my world. I use it for steamed o
potatos, winter squashes, corn on the cob, quick beans and for when all I have are frozen meats in the house (gets them "fall apart" tender in 45 minutes or less).

You don't need a whole set from one seller. You need to find pieces that you love and get those. The le creuset and pc 12" skillet would cost less than 400 together and would completely transform your cooking. A good pressure cooker is less than 150. Mine isn't sold in the U.S., so I can't recommend a brand here.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Oh, and looking at that Americraft cookware....check out the handles. They don't have riveted handles, meaning that the handles are going to fall of or get lose eventually. Pampered chef has riveted handles and it means that the handles will never come off or get loose. I always look for riveted handles when I see a piece that I might want. Soldered on handles don't hold up as well either. I also wouldn't get handles that are anything except metal.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Don't do it. For that much money, buy something with a proven history of quality. I have a huge set of Calphalon pots and pans and I didn't spend nearly that much either.

Personally I hate anything with plastic handles. Invariably they melt or break.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My mom has waterless cookware, though I don't know what brand. They're at least 30 years old, and probably closer to 35. Her non-riveted handles have never come off. [Sorry, Chaoticzenmom. I used to sell PC as well, but to be honest, I can't stand my riveted handles: they're a pain to clean.] The handley pieces that were on top of the lids are long gone, though I don't know the story there. All that's left is a screw that sticks out. Works for mom.

That said, I don't think... no, I KNOW, my parents did not spend $2000 [or the 1970 equivalent] on them. My dad demoed them for a while [which I CANNOT picture to save my life; so NOT my dad], and so I'm sure they got them at a discount.

Good luck deciding what to do!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Wow -- $2000 dollars.

I have All Clad - which is great. For $2000 you could buy at least 10-15 pieces of All Clad and never buy another pan for the rest of your life. I have pans that are 20 years old and look new.

A good quality pan will form a seal and cook "waterless" without any special gimicks.

And plastic handles- no way. Good quality cookware never ever has plastic handles because they simply do not last and they will melt in the oven.

I'd look elsewhere and start by figuring out what size pans you use the most and buy one or two at a time in the best brand for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts