Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who make homemade ice-cream do you have a favorite recipie? Maybe one with maple syrup or something instead of refind sugar? Also do you use an ice-cream machine or do you have some other method? We really love the creaminess of ice-cream so I would prefer true ice-cream recipies but hey sherbets and what not are always good too! THanks so much

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I've been making Cathe's "Better than ice cream" which you can find if you search in this forum, but basically it's a cup of frozen sliced bananas, a cup of frozen fruit (we like strawberries), a tsp of vanilla, and a splash of soymilk. I make it in my Vitamix and it's awesome. No sugar is necessary (although I've put in a drop or two of liquid stevia at times, when using a tarter fruit, like cherries). The bananas give it that creamy mouth-feel and it's quite satisfying as an ice cream substitute. HTH!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I've modified that recipe as well, and added a bit of cream instead of soymilk and I used bananas, cherries, and a bit of almond , and some organic cocoa powder. I put in a bit of maple syrup as well, and you can add eggs too to help thicken it if they are organic free range.Those are pretty safe.

Oh, yeah, and uh..
: I added a bit of rum to ours

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Easy Vanilla Ice Cream

3 cups well-chilled cream (or 2 cream, 1 milk)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar (or maple syrup)

Whisk together, then freeze in your ice-cream maker.

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream: use the vanilla recipe and add your favorite chopped sandwich cookies during the last five minutes of freezing.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: use the vanilla recipe, subbing peppermint flavor for the vanilla. Add desired amount of chocolate chips during last 5 minutes of freezing. You can add a few drops of green food coloring if you like green mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Easy Chocolate Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
8 oz. chocolate (semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate, whatever you like)
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups cream

Heat milk until bubbles form around edges. Combine sugar and chocolate in a blender, blending until chocolate is finely chopped. Add hot milk, and blend until chocolate is melted. Refrigerate completely.

Combine cream, vanilla, and chilled chocolate mixture. Freeze in ice-cream maker.

These recipes came with my cuisanart ice-cream maker. They are super easy and very good. They don't last too long around here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts